cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Updates appear to be chewing up disk space

Every time I see McAfee Virus Scan installing an update, I lose a LOT of available disk space.  This last one, yesterday, chewed up about 400 MB.  Over the last two or three months, nearly 6 GB has gone away.  I haven't installed any new applications, and have probably only saved 500 MB or so of appication data.  Recycle Bin is empty.

Is there something I can delete to recover this space?  If so, where is it?

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Updates appear to be chewing up disk space

Hi ,

It seems something new that we have heard as off now.

Kindly follow the below 3 steps & kindly update us with the following information’s:

Step 1: Clear all the Windows Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type Temp ) and clear all temp files.

Step 2: Clear all the Local Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type %Temp% ) and clear all temp files of the local user.

Step 3: Clear all the Temporary Internet Files:- (Navigation: Open Internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Under General tab) clear all temp internet files & cookies.

Hard Disk capacity:

RAM Size:

Operating System:

Purchased McAfee Product from: (Stores/ Online/ Partner/ Etc.,)

Version details of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click About on the top right)

• McAfee Security Center:
  • McAfee Virus Scan:

DAT version:

• McAfee Personal Firewall:
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, Jai.

I cleared all the temp files as you suggested, the same day you replied.

Disk capacity is roughly 80GB

RAM is 1GB

Operating system is XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Original purchase of McAfee was in 2004 and I don't remember where from.  All subsequent updates have been online from McAfee's web site.

Security Center is 11.0.623

Virus Scan is 15.0.291

I don't use McAfee firewall.  I have Zone Alarm.

McAfee has updated twice since my original post. I have lost over 1GB in that very short time, despite barely using the computer, other than updating my bills on Quicken.  Last night's McAfee update used up 300MB. 

Hi,

It appears like this issue needs some more diagnostics, I have sent you an e-mail requesting for more details on the same. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.

Highlighted

EMail sent

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community