Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates Available, But Never Actually Downloads and Installs Them

"My computer is at risk"

"Updates: Available"

Checking for updates....

Downloading updates... Completed: 0%

This stays on for hours.  I have a cable modem.  It's a wired connection.  I have a good internet connection as I'm able to log onto here and post this question.

Is something preventing them from being downloaded?

I don't want to set it to automatic updates as I don't want my multiplayer game to crash everytime McAfee randomly decides to update itself without my authorization.  I want it update only when I want it to update.  Which is when I'm NOT playing a game, or editing a video, or watching a movie.

So what's going on here?

Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Updates Available, But Never Actually Downloads and Installs Them

For functionality the SecurityCenter relies on Internet Explorer being up to date even if you use another browser by default, so whatever operating system this is, can you verify that IE is totally up to date including any add-ons?

Also try running the Virtual Technician and see if it finds and fixes problems:   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I am uncertain if this fix still applies? However, I briefly experienced this issue back in 2011.

Still am not certain as to why I did ?  I applied the option (2) listed in this Link, and it solved my problem.

I never ran the "Tool" just included those URL,S in the Local Intranet Zone.

I have always kept my "Auto-Update" settings on....and of course made certain all is up to date.

Again, this fix could be obsolete ? What do you think Ex_Brit, PeaceKeeper,Hayton,Selvan or anyone else?

As each of you are more knowledgeable than I when it comes to this....

I ask this because all of the code has changed with-in the software since.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kitHtNS9zsAXjhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNTZycDhhBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2x...

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Truthfully I cannot say as I have not used that fix in a couple of years. If IE is upto date and MVT fails to help you could try the above but I would try this first. Go to navigation and general settings and alerts and access protection and disable it. Go to updates and try updating again. Either way after trying this re-enable access protection.

The fall back fix before calling support would be to uninstall Mcafee and reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Thanks Guys,

Just wanted to make sure. I  recently did a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall myself  (12/8/2013) in hopes of retrieving the (12.8.903) build. However still have the (12.8.856). My Site Advisor Live did recently update

it,s build to (3.6.4.176 ) though. (1/10/2014.

I might mention that tomorrow is "Update Tuesday"  Also usually there is a new version of the

Adobe Flash Player add-on. If one (manually) downloads and installs it, don,t forget to (Uncheck) the optional

software usually bundled with the Download.

There doesn,t seem to be a Security Update for IE11this month.

However it is important that the Critical,Important,and even the recommended are installed.

( Of course all the Moderators was aware of this, It was meant to inform any New Member)

Everyone have a Great Week !

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 1/13/14 6:53:35 AM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Hi catdaddy,

Let's see If it is getting Updated after Tuesday hopefully..!

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Thanks Selvan,

I,ll keep check....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Hi Selvan,

I,ll keep it "Short and Sweet"...( Imagine that ) !

As I said, I would keep check, and can Happily say that I was indeed updated

to 12.8.903 @ 3:34 am this morning.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Hi Subtly aggressive,

Please make sure that the below mentioned Servcies are running and set to Automatic

1) Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)

2) Cryptographic Services

If not Start these services and push a Manual Update..!

0 Kudos

UPDATE:

Well Tuesday came and went and it didn't update itself.... :/

Also, I tried all of the above on Monday, to no avail.  So in order to work around my stubborness about 'Auto Update', I decided to just turn it on and while playing games and editing video and what not, I'll just turn it off.

Thanks for your help anyway guys!  Much appreciated

0 Kudos