cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update That Never Happens

The last two days my computer has been trying to download an update and just sits there and continues to download at 0%, the update never ends and when I shutdown my computer I have to end McAfee action in progress. What is going on...I have had this happen before but it usually stops after 1 restart.

Thanks

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Update That Never Happens

First of all make sure your computer is totally up to date, especially browsers and their add-ons, including any you may not use any longer such as Internet Explorer.  McAfee uses it and that can be the cause of this.

Then run the Virtual Technician to see if finds and fixes any issues.  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Once it's completed post back if  any progress and give the MVT session ID number.

I did the Virtual Technician the first time, session ID: 50729415 and it seemed to take care of the problem. Now it did it again today so I ran the Virtual Tecnician again, session ID: 50809738. Any suggestions on why this keeps happening?

Thanks

k3tg
Level 14
Message 4 of 10

Just curious if you purchased your McAfee software directly from McAfee or if you have purchased it through Cox, Dell, Verizon, or another partner?

What operating system are you using?    Win 7....XP....Vista

I got it directly from McAfee, and I'm using Vista.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks, I would contact Technical Support as I suggested,  tehy can troubleshoot it directly.

Moderator selvan
Message 7 of 10

Hello maglincoln,

Try the below steps and see if the update completes successfully,

1. Open McAfee User Interface > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts > Access Protection > Uncheck check box > Apply

2. Close the UI and Re-open

3. Click on Update tile > Check for Updates > Wait for it to Download and Install

4. Re-enable Access Protection by following step 1 even if you are not able to update successfully.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Then I suggest contacting Technical Support direct.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

k3tg
Level 14
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Peter

I meant to include the Technical Support suggestion in my previous post but I was called away to answer an important call.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Sorry about that Tom.  I started to respond then went away to eat dinner and of course, you had responded in the meanwhile and I didn't notice.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.