cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
needsomehelp
Level 7

Unknown device showing up in home network

Hello, I posted in another section a few days ago, but I think I've solved that problem which unfortunately lead to this one.

I rarely use all the features in McAfee, but when I clicked on "My Home Network" and trust connection, an unknown device showed up. It shows my router, my computer, then the unknown device. The unknown device has the same exact IP and MAC address as my computer does. After a while, it shows that the device is offline and it remains that way, unless I click Don't Trust Network and then re-trust it and the unknown device is back with the same addresses.

My router is wired via ethernet, and the PC is the only thing connected so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Can anyone help me? Has anyone else had this issue before?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Unknown device showing up in home network

It happens in mine too so I would imagine it's simply a glitch.

0 Kudos
needsomehelp
Level 7

Thank you very much for your help, I was very worried about this.

0 Kudos
needsomehelp
Level 7

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I'm having another issue with this.

Now when I'm plugging my ethernet cable into the computer, McAfee is not detecting a network at all. If I remove the ethernet, and re-attach it without restarting the router it usually detects the router and brings up the network.

When McAfee does detect the network, mcsvhost connects to ports 80, 139, 445 and an apple port. I'm assuming this is some sort of network discovery.

So, I have two questions.. First, am I completely protected even if McAfee doesn't detect my router or a network? I mean, my log ins, passwords, activity?

Secondly, has anyone else had this problem with having to connect the wire twice to get the network recognized?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​ Could you please assist this customer ?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
needsomehelp
Level 7

I'm still having an issue with "no network found". Does anyone have any answers? Can anyone tell me how to fix this, and if my information is still safe and protected?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I will bring this up as a 'Topic of discussion' on Mondays Conference Call and report back my findings.

I might add that my connection is 'wired' also.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
needsomehelp
Level 7

Thank you. My main concern is that when "no network detected", it doesn't even list my router so I was wondering whether my information was protected regardless of that. I'm not sure if it helps or not, but around the time it stopped working the first time, I had to run a Windows Fix it for Windows Update, it may have reset a Windows service McAfee was using.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I would think that as long as it states "Your Computer is Secure" All is okay. Have you attempted to run the McAfee Virtual Technician ?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
needsomehelp
Level 7

I just ran it, it said it found no issues. Under the Problem Log it was all good, but it had a bunch of odd entries in the Diagnostics Log, saying my firewall was off, that my subscription is expired, that it can't update software, and a few other things, all of which aren't true. The firewall asked me if I wanted to let MVT connect and I successfully updated a few hours ago. Would it matter if I had my McAfee subscription through my ISP?

0 Kudos