Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 20

Re: Unknown device showing up in home network

If your subscription is provided through your ISP, it could lag behind on what they have decided for you to have.

The latest Version/Build is 16.3.163, with 16.4 due to be released the end of September. Again if your McAfee Security Center says you are secure,you should be okay in my honest opinion.

You can also run the Eicar Test string to test your Anti-Virus.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

My current build is 16.1, it was last updated on the first of August.. but yes, it says I am secure.

My main concern about this is that when I plug my ethernet cable in, McSvHost doesn't connect to those ports like it used to do, which seems to have something to do with the network not being detected.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 20

I suggest contacting Technical Support directly.  It's much faster than waiting for a technician to show up here as those guys are extremely overloaded.

If you've already done that, then tell them to escalate the existing ticket.

Technical Support

I have contacted Technical Support in the past, but every time they tell me I have to call my ISP and go through their support staff. They've been helpful most times, other times not so much. They usually want to screen share, and I don't know how to show them this issue that way because it requires disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet,

I just want to sum this all up in this post, in case a technician or someone who had a similar problem views this:

I use a program to monitor my connections. Since I've been using it, when I connect my ethernet cable mcsvhost makes quick connections to my router on ports 80, 139, 445, and an apple discovery port. This all stopped a few weeks ago, I'm not sure if it had to do with my router losing internet connectivity or a setting Windows Fix It may have changed. A few days after that, I connected another router to my computer (which I won't be using, it's not very good), and the connections returned. I reset my original router and every thing went back to normal. Then I trusted the network, saw the unknown device. I reset the router again and I'm back to where it's not making the connections unless I disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable while the router is still up and running. (I did connect the other router afterwards and it still doesn't detect the router.)

I'm not so concerned with the My Home Network feature since I don't have anything other than a router and computer. I'm most concerned with McAfee not detecting the router and therefore not having a secure connection. I'm sorry to drag this post on for so long, but it's been stressful not being able to fix this, let alone figure out what could be causing it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 20

OK let's hope the following tech is on duty soon.

​ can you please help?

Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 20

As mentioned, we discussed this on our call today. There indeed is a minor bug in Home Network Defense. Which everyone is aware of,and will be addressed in the future. As for any security concerns there is nothing to worry about.

Also:  "The unknown device has the same exact IP and MAC address as my computer does."

There is no reason to be concerned as well. This will be corrected at such time as well.

Hope this Helped....

Regards

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Thank you guys for helping me out. Did they give you a time frame for when it will be fixed or if any particular firewall settings or Windows settings would cause it?

I just can't understand how it can stop working, then start working again, and then only work when the ethernet is connected twice. I know you said there was no security concern, but it always feels off when something that worked in such a way for such a long time stops.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 20

"will be addressed in the future" is all they have said apparently.

I'm not ready to say it's resolved, but today when I first connected the ethernet, McAfee's service host made the connections and detected the router and all. I did not change any settings, no major update to McAfee, nothing at all.

I can report back after the weekend and let you know if the issue seems to be fixed or if it returns to not detecting the network.

Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I will contact several 2.5 engineers directly by email on your behalf. Hopefully you will hear something in short order. However it is the weekend,and as Peter said they are inundated. I will also bring this up on the Conference Call tomorrow.

Email to Techs:

Hi Guys

Could one of you please add to this discussion? He has been very patient,and even contacted Support.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/462601#462601

Thanks

Cliff

Good Luck

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community