Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 21

Re: Uninstalled, Now Can't Reinstall

Product Key is your domain and a smart move to hide it out from others!

From what I can see from the info you provided is that:

You have a Pentium(r) T4400 CPU, which is the CORE Based Pentium (Penryn Series; Either Penryn-3m or Penryn-L); Released in December 2009 (Q4 2009) this is a 45nm architecture CPU. Specs say that it is Dual Core, and that it is a 2.2Ghz CPU.

Given that the CPU is only 6 years old, I wouldn't think that it would be causing an issue. And from the screen shot it appears as though both cores are operating at the same speed (2.20Ghz).

Your laptop has Integrated graphics (video is on the Mobo and shares CPU processing power), so unless you are getting weird video glitches (pixilated, stutter, blink) then that can probably be ruled out as well.

You watch the onboard clock and say that it is on the button, so the little watch battery is not at issue.

So really, if the issue you are running into is Hardware related, it can be narrowed to 2 most likely suspects; either:

{A} A stick of RAM (or a RAM Slot) is going bad

or

{B} The Hard drive is getting ready to go.

HOWEVER, before just dumping out the baby with the bath water; you really might want to try doing a System Restore (Restore Windows to an earlier time), as you may have accidentally gotten a bad install of something else (a different program) or may have accidentally "tweaked" a program the wrong way (hey it happens, even I have done that on occasion).

If after doing a system restore, you still can't get MTP to install; then take the computer to a Tech; like the Geek Squad at BestBuy. Generally speaking they can test RAM (they have special tools for that) to see if it is good and they generally can test the RAM Slots to see if the are good.

If the RAM and RAM Slots were to test out as good, then most likely it is the Hard Drive failing that is causing the issues, with program installs.

And given that (based on what I can discern from your information provided) the Hard Drive is most likely as old as the Laptop, that wouldn't be all that surprising.

Again, just tossing out thoughts based on my years owning and building custom computers (privately for myself and friends; I am not a professional)

Highlighted

Thanks, but there is no way I am going through any of that.  I am just going to call me credit card company on Monday morning and cancel the pre-payment for my renewal.  If they can't provide a file that I can download that will make Total Protection to work (like it has for the past year, which is my first year purchasing the product) then why should I pay?   Or go through any special like you outlined (and thank you for doing so, it;'s just that I am afraid that I could easily create other problems.  I would rather just not bother, and get my money back and buy a different anti-virus.

Highlighted

christianhaerle wrote:

Thanks, but there is no way I am going through any of that.  I am just going to call me credit card company on Monday morning and cancel the pre-payment for my renewal.  If they can't provide a file that I can download that will make Total Protection to work (like it has for the past year, which is my first year purchasing the product) then why should I pay?   Or go through any special like you outlined (and thank you for doing so, it;'s just that I am afraid that I could easily create other problems.  I would rather just not bother, and get my money back and buy a different anti-virus.

Advice from a Moderator: I already pointed out steps to take but if they haven't helped and you refuse to contact Technical Supoort, which is free by phone or online chat, then calling your credit card company and reversing a charge is not the way to go about things.  Calling McAfee Customer Service and asking for the refund is the first step & the correct one.  The company has a generous refund policy.  Link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Highlighted

By the way, the fix for some issues is on the way from the developers, it is being tested as we speak.   Other fixes can only be dealt with if people actually contact Technical Support and have them check the installation.   They only check that, no personal stuff is disturbed.   It's only by receiving examples of problems that faults can be corrected.    Any "workarounds" posted here and elsewhere, are only that, a workaround.

Highlighted

Do not ever try cleaning the registry as it will invariably cause major issues and is the very last resort for any problem.   Use the MCPR cleanup tool method AFTER using the regular uninstall method via Control Panel> Programs & Features, and if that fails call Technical Support at McAfee.

The only way a license can be freed up in an account is by regular uninstall methods and if that fails then Customer Service usually have no problem freeing up a license once the reason has been explained to them.

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 21

Re: Re: Uninstalled, Now Can't Reinstall

To the first ;

You are correct; it is a very extreme, last resort measure. I have redacted the offending portion(s) of my reply.

To the second,

I have attached a Screen Capture (from within my McAfee online account), which shows that it is possible to Deactivate (DeAuthorize) a device from that point.

I did make sure to black out any device names in the screen shot.

I only mentioned that portion, as sometimes (not often); when I have sought to do a Uninstall & Reinstall of McAfee, for what ever reason the McAfee servers (part that connects to an account) don't always "catch" that the actual device has been DeAuthorized (by use of the MCPR and the McAfee Preinstall tool).

When this has happened, doing a Deactivation via the online account interface and then rerunning the MCPR and McAfee Pre Install tool, generally work to Clear things; which then generally leads to a problem free install.

I was actually made aware of this area (Screen Shot) and procedural ability for Consumers by a Customer Service Rep. several years back when I actually called them, because I was having a heck of a time clearing a Used License for a computer that had actually died.

Highlighted

Yes that's true.  It was relatively recent that one could actually do that ones self.  Hitherto we had to call Customer Service to do it.

Highlighted

Okay, I will contact a technician instead of the bank.   Thank you all for your input!

Christian

London

Highlighted

OK, good luck.

Consumer Customer Service for refunds and account questions.

Technical Support for help with the product.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

Highlighted

I thought I found the answer:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100430&lc=1033

But at least I found a report from McAfee that acknowledges precisely the problem I am experiencing.   So I found the right question, but not yet the correct answer.  I added a comment saying that I followed the McAfee instructions at the link above precisely, and then downloaded my purchased product (Total Protection), and then when I ran it, I got this error message (same as before):

2015-09-12 McAfee reinstall error message.png

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community