cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run setup file

Hey,

So I reset my laptop and had everything erased. So I am trying to reinstall McAfee Internet Security , but it keeps popping up with an error message "An administrator has blocked you from running this app." I have tried executing the setup file from an elevated cmd, but that does not work too. Also by activating the administrator account and executing it from there did not work.

Need help big time

7 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to run setup file

Discussion successfully moved from Consumer to General Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I think you need the help of Technical Support.

This a clean install so Downloading the setup and running it from an admin account should have worked that is why support is now best path. I would very much appreciate the solution when you find it.

Is this windows 10?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-windows-10

So I tried the Technical Support page. It showed to download the McAfee Repair Too. As I did that , the same message popped up. The administrator has blocked you from running this app. Seems like all McAfee products are blocked in my laptop. Can you think of any solution?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Call support forget about the app. You need to talk to a real person if they at a loss ask to be escalated.. The windows 10 hint was not the issue?

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Was this fixed if so what was the fix? Marked assumed answered

McAfee Employee kthomas
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Hi All,

I am a corporate user and part of the McAfee Corporate Knowledgebase team.  I was looking at a resolved Windows issue that may also assist consumers. There is one issue which is linked to a Windows 10 problem.

The following link has some good details, with many users reporting that the solution resolved their problem:

Solved: This app has been blocked for your protection

I would be interested to know if this does resolve the problem. If it does, looks to be grounds for a new McAfee Consumer article.

All the best

Kevin

McAfee Employee kthomas
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Just in case someone finds this posting at a later date. I wanted to record that a new consumer article has been created to cover this topic.

The article is with an editor for final review and should be published in a few days.

Article Reference: TS102734 

All the best

Kevin

Knowledge Analyst

McAfee Global Online Services Team

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community