Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shridhar
Level 8

Unable to install McAfee PC Security Centre

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I recently reinstalled Windows Vista 64 bit on my Sony Vaio laptop. When I try to install McAfee PC Security Centre, I receive an error message that indicates "An unexpected error has occurred. The logn process has experienced an unexpected server access error. Please try again". The only option available on this error window is a "close" button. When I click on that I get another error message indicating "Your cancelled the installation before we could finish installing your software. To ensure your PC is protected against the latest threats, we recommend that you install your McAfee software now".

I have checked some previous threads on the same issue, however have not seen a conclusive resolution. I even tried running MCPR and McPreInstall programs as suggested in one post, but to no avail. MVT does not help either.

Can someone please help?

Regards,

Shridhar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shridhar
Level 8

Re: Unable to install McAfee PC Security Centre

Jump to solution

Yay!!!... The install has been successful.

Thanks for all the help Peter and tech support people at McAfee.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
shridhar
Level 8

Jump to solution

Additionally I have tried installing PC Security Centre by booting Windows in safe mode with networking option as well. Still facing the same issue.

Message was edited by: shridhar on 1/13/12 1:39:53 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is this Vista SP2 and what browser and version are you using?

0 Kudos
shridhar
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

Browser is currently  Internet Explorer 7.

Regards,

Shridhar.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Vista SP1 is no longer supported, not only by McAfee but by Microsoft too, which means you are missing a great deal of security updates from Microsoft. 

You need to install Vista SP2, see the following link on hints how to do it and a download link for the Service Pack (Change the country on the download link to India):  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019

You also need to update IE7 to IE9 and you can download it from Microsoft here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

After doing that, which will take some time, you will need to update Windows quite a bit as SP2 has been out for ages and there have been many updates since.

After all this you should find things work better.

0 Kudos
shridhar
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. However I have reinstalled the OS as well as McAfee PC Security Centre a number of times without any issues until now. One recent such reinstall was around last month or so and it worked fine. Is there any other issue that might becausing the installation to fail.?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Because something worked before is not a good reason to leave your system unpatched.

As your machine is basically insecure without the latest updates from Microsoft I would suggest possible infection as a cause. 

Run the free version of this software after updating it:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

0 Kudos
tyomni
Level 9

Jump to solution

Infection couldn't cause this because he tried the safe mode, so we need other solution.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Infection could cause it.   McAfee software can't be installed in safe mode anyway.   Malwarebytes free can be both installed and updated & will also run in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if necessary.

I would be interested to know why you call it McAfee PC SecurityCenter....is this provided by your ISP or computer maker?   I ask only because we normally call it something else; either just plain SecurityCenter or the product name, such as VirusScan Plus or Total Protection for example.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/01/12 12:00:00 EST PM
0 Kudos
shridhar
Level 8

Jump to solution

That's what the product information indicates on "my account page" on McAfee.com for the product I have purchased. Have atached a screenshot below.

I had tried to install in safe mode with networking option on, because one of the previous posts mentioned this as a possible resolution option.

Downloading SP2 at the moment. Will give it a try and see how it goes. Will post back here.

Message was edited by: shridhar on 1/14/12 8:59:53 AM CST

Message was edited by: shridhar on 1/14/12 9:00:47 AM CST
0 Kudos