Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virusfree
Level 7

Unable to access McAfee control center after update

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I am having a weird McAfee behaviour after I updated it (renew the licence). The software download and installation went good (no error), but when I double-click the icon on the trail nothing occurs. When I try to run the control center from the desktop's shortcut, a blank square appears (splash screen ?) and remains there, apparently doing nothing. This window can be easily closed (one single click). I'm not quite sure that the anti-virus is really active. In a word, I have no control over the anti-virus. Did someone ever face such a situation ? What to do to fix this ? (I reinstalled it at least 5 times, updated Windows (7-x64) with no changing). Thank you for your help, advises...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Unable to access McAfee control center after update

Jump to solution

Missing system fonts have a read of this thread

https://community.mcafee.com/message/226523#226523

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Are you running IE9 ?

0 Kudos
virusfree
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, IE9, Win7, 64bits

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Missing system fonts have a read of this thread

https://community.mcafee.com/message/226523#226523

0 Kudos
virusfree
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

I read the thread about the system missing font. Unfortunately, all this happened right after the install of McAffe update. I didn't remove, modify, even add any font. Before that update, IE9 (release version with no beta version previously installed) was working fine. Now I uninstalled McAfee, run MCPR, uninstall IE9 (returned to IE8), installed McAfee again and all is ok but I run IE8 instead of IE9. Obviously, the problem is some "misunderstanding" between IE9 and McAfee, but it sounds to be still not discovered...

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Did you check to seif the system fonts mentioned were changed maybe by another program, I have been running ie9 with many versions of Mcafee with no issue so there must be some cause we are not seeing. This system fonts issue seemed a good starting point. I will add this to our next call agenda

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Windows 7 is SP1, yes?

0 Kudos
virusfree
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, Win7 SP1, x64 ,IE9(x64 and x32)

0 Kudos
virusfree
Level 7

Jump to solution

The good news is that my problem is solved. I verified that the system fonts were there (arial family) and they were there. In fact, not only McAfee control center window was affected. Windows extended services display (the one that lists all available services, extended version only) was also affected and so was IE9 itself displaying sites but unable to follow links. First I removed IE9, then I removed McAfee, then I run MCPR tool to remove all McAfee stuffs. So I felt back on IE 8. I installed McAfee again. So far all was fine. Then I tried to install IE9 again downloading it from Microsoft web site and once again all went wrong (McAfee control centre, IE9, services extended list - while standard list was ok). So I removed all these software as I said earlier. Once back on IE8, I installed McAfee and once again all was fine. I was about to give up all this, when Windows update software told me I could update IE8 to IE9. So I took the chance (knowing how to return to a working configuration).  And after reboot, surprise ! All was fine ! IE9 x64, McAfee control center, Windows services list... I did all this Saturday morning and since then (Sunday) it keeps on working. I am wondering if this could be related not to fonts but to font cache itself. I don't know how to refresh font cache, I didn't take time to find how and I actually don't really need this now, but maybe, it could be something to check. I hope that all this will help you finding what the real problem is.

I just want to thank all of you for your help.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Strange above this old aussie though I have marked this as an agenda question for out Monday call. Good luck.

0 Kudos