cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abela
Level 7

Unable to Logon after install/upgrade to McAfee Suite 12

Hello!

I have 5 client computers (Windows XP, all patches installed) in a smallbusiness network (smallbusiness domain) using McAfee Antivirus Plus (currently 11.6).

After upgrade to the current version (should be 12.x?) via the online updater we are not able to login to the computers anymore. After entering the credentials, the screen freezes.

This behaviour is reproducable under at least 3 of the 5 clients. We were only able to login again via "safe mode".

These steps were taken:

1. Upgrade via the mcafee gui -> error as above

2. uninstalled the current version of antivirus, ran mcpr.exe and did a clean install of the new version (downloaded via the customer portal) -> error as above

3. Ran virtual-technician before upgrade (with some minor issues detected), ran virtual-technician after upgade (with the same issues).

Did anyone experience similar issues? What can I do?

Thank you in advance!

Alex

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Unable to Logon after install/upgrade to McAfee Suite 12

If you can boot to Safe Mode then initiate System Restore, hopefully it's switched on, to go back to before you installed the new software and immediately turn off auto-updates.

Then phone Technical Support or use their online chat to get advice on what to do next.

McAfee relies on Internet Explorer being up to date and set to default settings.  That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this as you said Windows is totally up to date.

0 Kudos
abela
Level 7

Thank you for your comment.

I meanwhilst did this (reinstalled "old" version, gladfully I had saved it in first install; then disabled auto-updates etc.) but this isn't a favored solution to me (because I pay annually for updates, which I can't get at the moment).

I already tried to reach customer support, I wlll try again... Hopefully they will have an answer...

I'll post again, if I get any solution...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It's Technical Support you need and they are open only between 0900 and 1800 Monday to Friday in Germany.

Unless you want to try English/UK online chat.

(You can choose Country at the top right of the support pages).

0 Kudos
abela
Level 7

I had some sessions with technical support (chat, remote assistance) now but the problem still exists.

Steps taken were 1. full uninstall (with mcpr), 2. windows update checking, 3. reinstallation.

Now I am routed to phone support (2nd level), I have an appointment for wednesday with them. Hopefully they will have an answer.

Alex

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck.

0 Kudos