cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishguts
Level 7

Try to install Total Protection, continuously get message to restart computer

Jump to solution

I have been trying and trying and trying to re install McAfee Total Protection on one of my pcs, I have ran the Pre install, the uninstall, the MCRP and over and over restarted to get the same message "Computer must be restarted to finish this installation".  I emailed and had to prove I purchased and how many.  Then was told to uninstall, run clean up, reinstall - I explained for the 8th time that I had done this - over and over - he said, "You must restart."

I have, over and over, he said, "Clear the cache, run a registry cleaner and repeat."  I have done all of those - over and over.  He suggested that I might have a technical problem - ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Try to install Total Protection, continuously get message to restart computer

Jump to solution

Now un-check the one that says "$McReboot..." (highlighted in red color) and Reboot the PC once. After reboot, retry the Install and see if it works.

Tier 2.5 Technician
34 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Try to install Total Protection, continuously get message to restart computer

Jump to solution

What operating system is this and is it totally up to date?

After running MCPR (which I assume was the latest one freshly downloaded from HERE), did you reboot before attempting an installation?

Are you installing from your online account?

If this is Windows 10 make sure you are rebooting and not simply sleeping, then waking the computer up.

Check your advanced Power Settings.

0 Kudos
fishguts
Level 7

Jump to solution

Operating system TOTALLY up to date!

Windows 7 Home Premium

I deleted all McAfee products restarted

Ran the cleaner (AGAIN) and downloaded it AGAIN, restarted the computer again

installed from (tried to) my account clicked run

this time a red warning said "your device must be restarted to remove old product

I restarted again

ran the program again got the same message

the one I have gotten when I deleted the product

the same message I got each time I finished the MCPR

the same message I got each time I have tried to install

your device must be restarted by this time I am guessing that I have restarted 55 or 60 times

0 Kudos
fishguts
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am not ungrateful for you attempt to help, but I am frustrated.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

This strange to help we will ask our tech to visit here and if he cannot help bring this up in our Monday Moderator call. I assume there are no other McAfee products listed for this PC in your account or say McAfee security scan plus in the program list. The latter should not be an issue but if it is present remove it as it is only a marketing tool.

can you suggest anything to fix this?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Technical Support is free of charge here:  Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

0 Kudos
fishguts
Level 7

Jump to solution

There had been "a free download" of McAfee Security Scan from AOL, but I removed it with "all" McAfee products, restarted, before running the clean up and restarting.  I re checked Windows Update - 2 new updates, updated - Windows must be restarted for this update to take effect, then tried again to install from my account - as of about midnight- I still get the red warning - your device must be restarted - blah -blah

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Have you contacted Technical Support via Phone/Online Chat?

Technical Support

Do you have the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables installed?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I suspect the following has a full name of Security Scan Plus in which case it should be uninstalled at all times as it isn't anything more than a sales tool

McAfee Security Scan from AOL

But I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Best to call support or await Selvan commenting he is the 2.5 level support tech for the forum. If no reply by tonight my time (Australia time) I will ask in our moderator call tomorrow about this. If your cal support post your support job number here please.

0 Kudos