Have any users had issues with Win 8 Metro Apps not working on account of McAfee?
I've had Total Protection on my Win 7 machine for quite some time, and I just got a Win 8 machine. The metro apps were working fine. It took me a few days to get around to installing Total Protection on the new machine, and I just did it last night. This morning, I found that the Metro apps are not working any more. (They quickly show a splash screen and then go off. If you swipe in from the left hand of the screen, the app still shows, but switching to it give you only a momentary glimpse of the splash screen again.)
I've noticed a lot of online discussion about metro apps not working, but no one has narrower down the cause. I'm fairly certain that in my instance it was installation of Total Protection that did it. Starting up with all the McAfee products disabled does not seem to remedy it though.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is All Access 2013 a newer product. Would switching to that be of help?
I haven't noticed that myself and I use Total Protection in Windows 8, however I will admit my main OS is still Vista so spend most of my time there. You might want to make sure that the affected apps have permission in the Firewall, that's if they need it.
All Access is merely a more universal version of the same software but gives varying protection to other kinds of hardware and operating systems, depending on what they are, plus allows more licenses.
As using the software on Windows 8 is relatively new I would recommend contacting Technical Support with specific examples of the problem. It's free and available by phone or online chat, linked through Useful Links at the top of this page.
In theory, your idea about assuring that the affected apps have Firewall permission makes sense. If only one could track down the names of the individual metro apps to expressly give them permission. That being said, I've already tried turning off the firewall completely and trying the metro apps, but they still don't work.
On my other computer, I'm trying a complete uninstall and removal of McAfee to see what happens...
I know what you mean about finding the apps. Most non-Microsoft ones are not even the .exe type and are hidden away anyway.
When you uninstall, also run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot before downloading the software again.
Sometimes that operation will renew permissions and get things working.
Well that didn't work (uninstalling, removing, and reinstalling).
But I remembered something else I'd encountered on one of my machines: Creating a new user account. And the metro apps work on the new user account. For a while.....
I'd created a new user account on my notebook some time ago. Exact same kind of account as my default account: Local account with admin privileges. Curiously, the metro apps worked on the new account but not on the old. Then, after a week or so, metro stopped working on the new account too. I created a second new user account, and they work on that new new account.
I just tried the same thing on my desktop. New account, same kind as the default account. The metro apps work on that account but now on the other.
When I did that the first time on my notebook, I posted on the MS community boards to see if anyone could explain why, and what could possibly happen to an account after a week to make metro stop working, and so far no answers....
OK good luck then. All I can suggest is ask Technical Support if they've seen similar instances to this.