cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Protection 'Installation Incomplete'

I'm trying to install Total Protection on Windows 7 computer that previously had Security Center (that had expired) installed on it. The first time I attempted to install Total Protection, it uninstalled Security Center for me. Then, after downloading everything it tells me "Instalation Incomplete". So I attempted to run Virtual Technician as the installer suggested. It reported a few errors; Missing SSL 2.0 and SSL3.0 certificates, Clear Temporary Internet Files, Clear DNS Cache, VBSCRIPT.DLL or JSSCRIPT.DLL is corrupt, Delete Chrome Cache, Certificate Revocation List is turned on. After clicking Fix All, it said it wasn't able to fix; Clear Temporary Internet Files, Clear temporary folders and Delete Chrome Cache, so I performed these manually and rebooted. I attempted to install Total Protection again, and I end up with "Installation Incomplete". So, then I tried running the MCPR and PreInstall tools (rebooting between each). Running the installer again tells me "Installation Incomplete". I ran the MCPR tool again, rebooted, enabled the Administrator account attempted the install again. Still I get "Installation Incomplete".

I have attached the MVT Problem Log, the install logs from C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS\McInst.

12 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 13

Re: Total Protection 'Installation Incomplete'

Did you follow the Guidelines/Instructions in this Link? How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

Also I assume you mean Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Please make certain you are current with all of your Windows Updates,to include Internet Explorer. Mcafee and other important Programs depend on it to function properly.

Also Technical Support is available 24/7 and (Free) Via Phone/Chat Being much quicker.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Hi, Yes those are the instructions I followed.

Also, I do mean Service Pack 1, I forgot to mention that. And yes the computer is fully up to date.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 13

Do you have Internet Explorer 11 installed?  You don't have to use it yourself, but McAfee relies on it.

Yes, version 11.0.9600.17358.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 13

Difficult to say what to do next.  Incomplete installs are usually caused by the installer balking at some other brand of security software being present.  Was there any?   When you uninstalled.reinstalled did you run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot in the middle as that link CD posted shows?  BTW those zip files you posted we can't read but Technical Support can if you want to try them, it's free by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

No, there was not any other brand of security software on the system. All it previously had installed was McAfee Security Center.

On the initial uninstall/reinstall attempt I did not, because nothing mentioned that I needed to uninstall, or run the MCPR tool before installing. Since then I have run the MCPR tool (rebooting after running it) several times.

For the attachments, I didn't realize that. I've posted the entirety of the log files below.

Cleanup000.log

---------------------

11/05/2014 01:56:41 PM -- (Error) File C:\Users\ALPINE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{90D1C214-D438-4C22-A607-758117BA3EF2}.ini does not exist. Nothing to delete

11/05/2014 01:56:41 PM -- (Error) File C:\Users\ALPINE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{90D1C214-D438-4C22-A607-758117BA3EF2}.ini does not exist. Nothing to copy over

Common000.log

------------------------

11/05/2014 01:56:41 PM [mscLI.inf, MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error in installation. Cleaning up all entries previously created under appid MSC

mscLI.inf000.log

------------------------

11/05/2014 01:56:41 PM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (5) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Temp\qxz91D3 since we wont be needing it anyway

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 13

I'll email a Tech to see if has some ideas and post here.

Message 9 of 13

Re: Re: Total Protection 'Installation Incomplete'

Hi

Please navigate to the following location and attach the mfehidin***.txt file to analyse further. * should be a random number based on number of Install attempts.

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS

Hi

That file did not exist in the MCLOGS folder. There were only 4 folders; Common, McInst, MasterInstallerPDU and MISP. I'm guessing at the last two, because I think I've solved this issue myself. We switched internet providers this weekend and now the installation worked!