cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rob1609
Level 7

Thunderbird - Moving messages from inbox to Mcafee Anti-spam

Hi All

I am completely frustrated by the fact that my thunderbird is running very slow and observed very interesting thing that at the left bottom corner on the status bar is says:

"Moved 23167 messages from Inbox to Mcafee Anti-Spam"

While it is doing that it is running very slow and often when you click on a message or anythingelse it says (Not Responding) at the top.

Ok I thought I will leave my laptop alone for all night so it can process all of my messages then it might be ok.

The next morning I checked the progress of moving these messages to anti-spam and it is still doing it and apparently it moved 23,167 messages even though my anti-spam folder is EMPTY and it wont stop doing it and the number of messages continuously inreasing.

First of all in my inbox there are only 1,279 messages in total but it says that it moved 23,167 messages which is impossible as I dont have this many messages in my inbox . It wont stop doing it!!

Is it possible that some king of virus is in my computer and it is embedded in my thunderbird and it displays this false message at the bottom and it is doing something with my thunderbird.

I know that I can disable Mcafee and my thinderbird will work fast but I dont want to disable it.

Also I am being bombarded by false emails from Royal Bank of Scotland and HMRC with zip files that are trojans. Every time I delete this message my MCafee says that it is a trojan. Therefore I dont want to disable MCafee however it has some issues with thunderbird as it runs very slowly plus it says which is weird that it is moving messages to anti-spam but not a single message is physically moved. Which antispam it is talking about? its not the one I can see!!! Arghhhh.......

I am using Windows 8, Thunderbird 24.5.0, Mcafee Total Protection 2014

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Thunderbird - Moving messages from inbox to Mcafee Anti-spam

Thunderbird and Mcafee has a bug  or 2

To workaround teh slow issue you need to disable email attachment scanning in Real time scanning. Real time scanning will still protect you but with all those emails you have to be careful.

I also see Anti spam is acting up in version 12.* in that  if I click mark as spam it did not move the email. ( I need to recheck this)

Are you saying Mcafee says it moved 23167 emails  if so where? Is this in the Mcafee program itself ie in history?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/05/14 7:17:39 PM
0 Kudos
rob1609
Level 7

Thank you for your reply.

I know that I can disable attachment scanning but thought it is somethingelse as I wanted mcafee to check attachements so I could somehow reject those emails coming with zip files and trojans in it.

But I guess I just have to disable it as you say.

However as I mentioned earlier the most weird thing for me is that the thunderbird diplays the message in status bar (as the image above) that the MCAfee moved say 23,000 to antispam but in MCafee Antispam folder there are 0 messages!!!! its empty!!! I too dont understand it!!!! I dont know where these messages go. And most importtnantly I dont even have this many messages in my inbox.

There are only 1279 messages in total so how come it says that it already moved over 23,000 of messages if I dont even have this many messages in my inbox!!

its something wrong!!! its either a false message embedded in thunderbird created by some weird virus program or its a bug in thunderbird.

ITs really really weird!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Ok will do some testing on mine and the wife's pc. Also on monday will ask how the fix is going. I gave two sets of logs to the developers two weeks ago so will ask at our weekly mod call.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

So what is the version and build number of your anti spam. It is not working on my wife's win 7 64 bit PC if you click mark as spam the email does not move. I cannot on it nor my 14.6 version of AS (beta) get a comment re number of messages moved.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/05/14 5:31:09 PM
0 Kudos
rob1609
Level 7

Hi

My mcafee antispam version is 2.0. however I am not sure how to find the build number.

Thank you for your help so far

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The build may be displayed in 'About" - open SecurityCenter then click About at lower right and scroll down to AS.   I don't use it so am guessing here.  Try that anyway.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

The current version is far higher than that 13.8 or so and included in Total protection suites as well as some of the other suites.

Are you looking at the addon number? What version of the AS addon have you got in Thunderbird? IE go to tools/addons

Also what  product have you got is it Mcafee internet security or Total Protection or what?

You need to access teh about key in Mcafee product to check the version as Peter said

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/05/14 6:53:23 AM
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Just returned home from my visit to Baltimore, Maryland.

As Ex_Brit stated, and PeaceKeeper as well. You need to check your Version.

For instance,I,m running:

McAfee Total Protection

Anti-Spam

Version-13.8

Build- 13,8.706

Content Version-4932

Content Update 5/4/2014   541:17 pm

Engine Version 3.0.0.429

I might add that my "McAfee Security Center"

12.8. (957)

AffId 0

en-us

Regards,

Edited for spelling

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 5/4/14 7:28:16 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

That is the same as my wife is running. I will ask wrt the message tomorrow in our call.

By the way have you uninstalled Mcafee and reinstalled it via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

That might remove the funny message but will not help teh TB slow down issue.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/05/14 3:11:37 PM
0 Kudos