cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tech support scam

I'm certain my father in law has been the victim of one of those fake tech support scams, believing he is speaking to McAfee. I visited him yesterday when he told me about getting his and his wife's laptops fixed up, and the story left me quite worried.

He had bought these laptops a few years ago and they came with McAfee.  At some point in the past he has phoned what he assures me was the phone number for McAfee, which was on the disc that came with the PC, and was transferred by the call center to a phone number for remote support.  He was pretty vague on details, but somehow he ended up with an 0800 number on his taskbar to call for support.  So yesterday he rings this number because the computers are slow, and gives them remote access to both.  They show him a load of 'viruses' in a scan, then spends some time cleaning them up, and inform him that his drivers are broken and he has to buy new drivers...

My father in law then signs a payment agreement through hellosign, and made a £150 payment by paypal to Ouze Global Services Ltd. to provide him with drivers 🙄

I'm posting as a warning to others but also to ask for some confirmation from the community that might help me persuade him it is indeed a scam.

1 Reply
BCALLC
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Tech support scam

I purchased a new computer and printer and was having trouble connecting the printer to my wifi. I contacted Canon support via text and explained what was happening. I was told that I would be getting a phone call from a Canon technician and that I should keep my phone line open. While I was talking with the "support tech" he transferred me to another "tech". This tech told me that I couldn't hook up to my wifi unless I installed McAffee. I do not normally use McAffee as I have a program that I really like. I was informed that it would cost me $499.99 for the program and that if I wanted my printer/wifi issue repaired that I had to install it. The tech took control of my computer and did actually get my printer to work. He also installed things which I assume were part of McAffee. Before I got off of the phone I was having alarm bells going off in my head. I called my bank on another phone and was talking with them at the same time. While this was happening there was an attempted fraudulent purchase with my debit card for $547.64 at a place I never heard of. I was trying to stop all of this through my bank and so far nothing has been resolved. So far I have had to cancel my debit card, close my bank account, file a fraud report, file a police report, and I am out $499.99. The "tech" actually did install some kind of McAffee programs but I have since had them all removed for safety reasons. I really need to get my money returned as I am on a very tight budget and cannot affor this. Any suggestions?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community