Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kchnew
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

SuperDat no longer works for VirusScan home edition v7.02.6000

I used to manually download and install either the DAT or SDAT file weekly. About one week ago, when I run the the downloaded file, it quits with "One or more McAfee Point Product(s) cannot be updated by this package. Please run an appropriate package to update the Point Product(s)".

I noticed the file size is down from about 112M (working one) to about 61M.

Can you tell me what's going on and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!

3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 4

Re: SuperDat no longer works for VirusScan home edition v7.02.6000

VirusScan 7 is many years past its end of life and if it was updating until now then it was sheer luck.

See this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/thread/23675?tstart=0

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/04/10 7:43:42 EDT AM
exbrit
Level 21
Message 3 of 4

I just realised you had entered the word "home" in your header.   I had moved this to VirusScan Enterprise thinking that it was that entity.  Are you absolutely sure it's the home version?

If so, then that isn't supported either, hasn't been for 6 years or so, and again, if it was updating that was sheer coincidence.   There isn't much point in using outdated protection, even if one can get it to update, which is in itself a task and a half, but these older products don't have the capability of detecting and handling many of the newer types of malware.

I strongly suggest that you get a modern product.   What operating system and service pack are you using and is it up to date?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/04/10 8:33:19 EDT AM
exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 4

Moved back to Home General Discussion.