cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Subscription starts with purchcase or with installation and activation ?

A quick question I have internet security installed which expires about 50 days from now. I will downgrade to McAfee antivirus. I can buy it for a 45% discount from se.mcafeestore.com . My question is does the subscription begin at the purchase date or the date I install and activate the progam ? And is there a timelimit for this in that case.

Probably this is a question for Mcafee support but it seems that they having problems with that as I get a message here in Sweden that they have prolonged waiting time. And that they hope it will be restored. But no mention of when. E-mail option seems to be gone.

16 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Subscription starts with purchcase or with installation and activation ?

From activation I gather though I am only a user like you. You will need to fully uninstall Internet security as it is a different program but the uninstall reinstall is not a big eal re time.

Uninstall/Reinstall Mcafee

Re waiting time is this on the support page that is generic I have found I got through immediately the last time I tried the English /Australian 1 and it was showing that message. You need Customer service rather than support but either could help.

Ok maybe they do have an issue as english support does not have that message. . You could ask in the swedish forum and request not to be given the support contact but rather to say a yes or no to the question. They are techs monitoring that forum and can say for sure what is the correct answer

Highlighted

Thanks for the answer, yes I realise that I have to un and reinstall. I tried the swedish consumer support forum  here for about one week ago but no reply given yet. Before when I had to contact Mcafee from support within the McAfee program there was three options via chat, mail or phone. The only option now seems to be by phone. It is one phone number only . On top of the support page there is a banner about what I described in my question. Seems that they are making changes here in Sweden after McAfee should become independent company. It´s a bit frustrating as they advertise that they give support and that one could contact consumer service the same way. But I will give the phone a try. I will downgrade because I don´t need parental or the mail and spam filter option, don´t have any mail client installed. And the webmail services make a good job.

And I just need one license not unlimited numbers.

Highlighted

Surprised chat not there yes they dropped email support it was not the best as it usually took a long time to answer.

Good luck

Highlighted

Maybe you can answer this user's question rather than he waiting for Swedish support.

Selvan is the forum support tech here

Highlighted

Thanks again. Why I wondered about when subscription starts is because I was thinking about to buy the new program in good time before the old one expires and then install the new one a day or two before the old one expires. The site I refere to in my question se.mcafeestore.com gives 45% discount on the price. If I should buy within my McAfee acount it is a much higher price and furthermore no option to buy McAfee antivirus there just total protection and live safe and some bussines products. And those are not what I want. Another thing that makes me a bit angry is that what I think is that McAfee most for sure placed som cookie or something that directs me to their site with their highest price.

Highlighted

The offered prices are high you always can shop around and get them cheaper even calling customer service and complaining about price etc can get a big cut in price from what I hear.

Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 17

Hello Jonny

Purchasing the subscription online would make it reflect under your McAfee account as soon as the purchase is made, which means that it will be activated as soon as you purchase irrespective of whether you install it immediately or not.

Regards

Farhan

Highlighted

Ok if that´s the case I guess I have to wait before I buy it until a day or two before my subscription expires. But you have to activate it by the registry code you get and fetch it from your McAfee acount and verify your subscription. I guess there are differences between different Av-brands.

Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 17

Once you purchase the subscription, changing from McAfee Internet Security to McAfee Antivirus is a fairly easy process and you do not have to uninstall the McAfee installed.

Go to the below article and follow Steps 3 and 4 under Solution 2 , depending upon your Operating System.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102110

Regards

Farhan

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community