cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyl1221
Level 7

Since McAfee update, I can't get online without diag and repair

The 5958 Dat applies to XP. I am running Vista and it has been doing the same thing since the Shield update.

Do I fix Vista the same way it says to fix XP?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Since McAfee update, I can't get online without diag and repair

Yes by all means you need to contact McAfee about getting this resolved as a result of the bad dat. See the link at the top of this page dealing with the 5958 update

0 Kudos
Julia731
Level 7

I have been dealing with McAfee for the past 3 days trying to fix this same problem. I went from 4 chat sessions to waiting for the next level service techs to call. Please report your situation, it seems not a lot of people have.

0 Kudos
cathyl1221
Level 7

Are you also using Vista and not XP? I can't even get to the chat sessions.

I will have to call them and pay for the problem.

0 Kudos
Julia731
Level 7

I'm using Vista and am having the same problem you are since 4/30/2010. Don't call, just keep trying the chat. In my first chat, the person I worked with uninstalled then reinstalled McAfee- no luck. The second chat, they removed most of my other anti-spyware- no luck. The third chat, I was told to run a virus scan and if I didn't have a virus to chat with a virus tech- no luck. Finally in the fourth chat, they told me that that was all they could do to help me and asked for my phone number and when I would be available and the next day I got a phone call from the next level tech. I walked him through the problem, still not able to fix it. He told me that the problem would be sent to software development and that they would get back to me today with an answer. I am still waiting for today's phone call.  I have not and will not call them because I am not paying for help for a problem it seems like they don't know about. I would think if this was the same as the XP problem they would have tried that fix, but I don't think they did. Sorry this is a lot, but I haven't seen anybody else talking about this problem.

0 Kudos
cathyl1221
Level 7

Yes, they said it was for XP users, but I have been having the same problem since the update.

I noticed the icon went from a square to a shield with an M in it.

So I couldn't get on the chat at all.

Will try again, and let you know.

Thanks for answering so I know there are others out there with Vista and having that problem.

0 Kudos
cathyl1221
Level 7

I went to Windows Update, They had a Vista update (KB980248) on 4/29/2010. You said yours started on the 30th.

So I went to the update site and found 2 for the NVIDIA n Force Networking Controller.

I updated that and seem to be staying online now. Maybe the update error was not from McAfee but from Microsoft.

We will see if I stay online now. Will let you know.

0 Kudos
Julia731
Level 7

Just got finished with my call, won't here back from them until Monday. Tried this past Monday to update NVIDIA but keep getting message that I am up to date. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

0 Kudos
cathyl1221
Level 7

I downloaded the file on another computer to automatically delete that DAT 5958 file. and I have

been up and running ever since. Let me know how it goes for you.

0 Kudos