cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
generalcarh
Level 7

Should I turn off Windows Firewall

Jump to solution

Since McAfee AntiVirus 2011 Plus has firewall feature, can I safely turn off Windows Firewall and Windows Defender after McAfee is installed?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Should I turn off Windows Firewall

Jump to solution

The installation of McAfee should have automatically disabled Windows Firewall, but if it is still on then turn it off.  

Also the McAfee installer disables Windows Defender, that's only to prevent possible clashes while installing, you can safely use it alongside McAfee as a supplementary malware defense so I would reactivate it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The installation of McAfee should have automatically disabled Windows Firewall, but if it is still on then turn it off.  

Also the McAfee installer disables Windows Defender, that's only to prevent possible clashes while installing, you can safely use it alongside McAfee as a supplementary malware defense so I would reactivate it.

0 Kudos
danjpalmer
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is showing as not answered so I will just make sure you've been able to solve this issue.

The answer is yes, you can safely turn off the Windows firewall (how to: http://www.helpmewithmycomputer.co.uk/windows/windows7/howdoidisablewindowsfirewall.html) and just have McAfee running.

There is never any need to have more than one firewall running on the same computer, it will just cause conflict.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Thanks, I marked it answered.