cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehedges
Level 7

Remove all McAfee files

I recently purchased a laptop with a free trial of McAfee. I do not wish to use McAfee so I uninstalled the program via add/remove programs. I noted some McAfee files remained on my PC, therefore I also ran MCPR tool. The files are atill there. if I search for McAfee on my laptop I am still finding files. How can I fully remove ALL traces of McAfee from my laptop? thanks.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Remove all McAfee files

Moved to Consumer > General Discussion > Discussions

Please make sure you are using the Latest McAfee Product Removal Tool. Did you by chance see a prompt stating 'Clean-up Successful'? And always do a restart following your use of the Tool.

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool  

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
ehedges
Level 7

Thanks, I believe the version I used was the latest oneC and files did remain.  

0 Kudos
tech-master
Level 7

Hey there!

Unfortunately there will still be plenty of cruft even after you run a removal tool. Happens with Kaspersky, happens with Norton, happens with mcafee. Luckily all services such as the scan itself, the firewall etc etc... But a lot of registries are left over as well as files in the application data and the local application data directories. I am sure there are plenty more.

There is an easy way to do it though. Just download and install "Revo Uninstaller". Once after you have uninstalled mcafee and ran its removal tool, reboot the device. When the OS loads again, run Revo Uninstaller as administrator and chose the option "Force Uninstall". Click/tap on it and type in mcafee. Select from the options on the bottom "advanced" and proceed.

Revo will first automatically create a SysRe point and export a copy of ur registries and just then look for all sort of cruft. Firstly you will see all registry entries. Click/tap on select all and delete. After this you will see all remaining files and folders. Again- select all and delete. Reboot you windows and repeat the whole thing just in case we missed something.

Take care!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Also sometimes rerunning MCPR helps  but I gather there may be crumbs left

0 Kudos
ehedges
Level 7

Thank you for your response. I will look into this tonight. is this a safe program to use? I've used programs like cleaner before, but heard negative things about them removing registry files etc, which they shouldn't.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

MCPR safe as it only touches McAfee files though in the years I have been using it some files might remain. None that seem to affect the PC as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
tech-master
Level 7

Dont worry. It could resolve in problems if you start uninstalling an anti virus software directly with Revo or some other uninstaller software. But once you have firstly removed it from control panel, ran the removal tool, it only clears what is left. The reason they are left is probably it was too costly to develop the removal tool to delete only services and reg entries  that could affect the system performance and leave stuff that doesnt matter behind as it will never affect the system. In the registry you will probably find entries linking to mcafee webpage or mcafee inc etc. Deleting them doesnt screw up your system.

Greetings

0 Kudos
ehedges
Level 7

Thanks again peacekeeper. For some reason the forum won't allow me to reply to a specific post. im trying to find out if revo uninstaller is ok to use.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Which post? One of above ones maybe you were logged ouyt this used to be an issue here but was fixed recently.

Revo haven't see anything bad registry cleaners though can mess up Mcafee install well and truly in some cases

link removed

Seems to work ok have a read of the above threads especially  the latter 2

0 Kudos