I noticed a charge on my mastercard from Mcafee. I was not expecting this for another month with auto renewal.
When I checked my mcafee account. Further investigation showed that Mcafee charged the wrong card / different card than was was in my account. Also the Billing address /phone number are old on the invoice.
How is this possible - nothing in my account shows this old information.
I was informed on Friday that I will be issued a refund. (still to be confirmed).
However , what was not addressed was the fact that the wrong card was charged. As well as an old address showing as the billing address. Can you please review this issue so that it won't happen in the future.