cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time scanning won't start, tried to fix, things got worse!

Lenovo computer presented a security alert.  Real-Time scanning keeps spinning in the start mode.  I tried to troubleshoot.  Did a windows update.  Restarted and it WAS working.  did a quick scan.  All was OK.  Then I shut down and powered up again.  It was hung up on the start mode again.  I tried to do the MVT.  Installed it and started to run it. MVT keeps spinning on the checking components step.  THEN, I tried to check for McAfee Updates and it keeps spinning as well.  I got the McAfee cannot update your software. Please check your internet connection message.  Internet is connected just fine.  Please help.

2 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Real time scanning won't start, tried to fix, things got worse!

The best way to sort this out is a full uninstall reinsall as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot I think 2 times and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

All that said have you got any adobe updates that you said install later as 1 user found this can set up a proxy server which does not agree with Mcafee.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Real time scanning won't start, tried to fix, things got worse!

Reenable access protection after you run MVT.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community