Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeeSee
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Question about the McAfee "Pre-Install Tool."

Hello.  I've been using McAfee for several years now and have successfully installed and uninstalled the program(s) many times. In the past, I've uninstalled using the recommended  procedures which included removal using the Windows Add/Remove Program Tool followed by final cleaning using the  MCPR.exe tool.  Today I've discovered something called the "McAfee Pre-Install tool."  Is the use of this tool necessary, recommended, or mandatory?  I currently have (and will be uninstalling) MIS 2010 and will be replacing it with MIS 2011.   I have Windows XP and will be using the CD method of installation...as always  (I prefer this method over yearly activation via a subscription plan).  Thanks, in advance, for any and all replys.

7 Replies
k3tg
Level 14
Message 2 of 8

Re: Question about the McAfee "Pre-Install Tool."

I would suggest you follow the instructions in this link

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100119

to assist you when you install your new software. The preinstall tool is included in the link and please be sure to use the MCPR removal tool when you remove the old software and reboot the computer. MCPR is found at the top of this page under Useful Links

Mcpreinstall resets IE to defaults as well as some other things that I am not privy to.

Note the current 2011 boxed product is not the 2011 product but the 10.5 version ie current 2010 product. This will be upgraded to the new 2011 product when it is released. Release starting soon.

When the 2011 boxed product is released I have no idea. Just thought you'd better know...

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/03/11 7:45:47 AM
jaymfe
Level 12
Message 4 of 8

SeeSee,

McPreInstall is a tool to automatically remove the temp files and cookies from your computer. It is not  mandatory to run unless you have any issues while installing McAfee. But running the tool will make some free space on your computer by removing temporary files.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 5 of 8

Right adding to it McAfee preinstall tool was designed as our researchers found that during browsing some session data does not clear from the cookies and temporary internet files causing old data to appear in the McAfee  account. When this occurs it does not show the products and suites available for download. Hence this tool also deletes McAfee cookies so that you do not find any issues while logging into your McAfee account or during download process.

Hope the above answers your question on McPreisntall tool. Yeah – You can get it from here : http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Regards,

SeeSee
Level 7
Message 6 of 8

Hello again...  I finished installing MIS earlier today and it was a blissfully uneventful reinstallation!  I followed the information found in Mcafee Tech Support FAQ Documents # TS100119 and TS100507 as suggested by Tom, above.  Thanks to everyone for their quick and helpful responses. 

Also,  to Dinesh, thanks for your exacting insights; however, may I suggest that someone from McAfee write a document outlining this information for the broader public?  When I first researched the McPreInstall tool, there were only two documents relating to it on the tech support site and only one of them seemed to remotely apply to me.  As you stated in your response, the tool cleans up Temp files and McAfee cookies that, if not removed, might make a user's install problematic.  This is extremely valuable info.  I also found the tool easy to use, helpful and would classify it as "highly recommended."

Again, thanks to all!

k3tg
Level 14
Message 7 of 8

Glad everything worked out for you and thanks for the feedback

Dinz
Level 16
Message 8 of 8

Hello Seesee,

Thanks for the feed back and suggestion , Sure this would be looked upon .

Thank you ,