cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Strange Link in E-Mail Received This Morning

Jump to solution

I hope someone here can shed some light on this, as I am concerned about the safety of my PC.  I am running McAfee Security Center 10.5, build 195.  VirusScan and Firewall are up to date.  I received an email this morning, from an acquaintance, containing only this link:removed for safety reasons  I tried to reply and ask if this really came from them and my email was returned as undeliverable.  I verified their email address later in the day.  The address line seemed to have been pulled from the other person's address book, because it contained about ten entries in alphabetical order.  The other person did not send this email.  McAfee software did not indicate any problems.  Was this email caused by a virus or trojan on the other person's PC?  Do I need to be concerned about my PC being infected?

Thank you very much,

ridgerunner

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/10 8:35:02 EDT AM
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 8

Re: Question About Strange Link in E-Mail Received This Morning

Jump to solution

It's possible.   Everyone concerned should scan with whatever antivirus they have installed plus try an independent malware detector such as Malwarebytes Free (don't bother with the paid version, no need for it).

7 Replies
k3tg
Level 14
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I believe that some type of virus or malware may have compromised someones computer not necessarily yours or your friends as this happens from time to time. Just make sure to keep your computer up to date with security updates from Microsoft.

This link from McAfee can assist you with any virus or malware issues.

You may want to run the McAfee Stinger scan which is mentioned in the link just to give you some peace of mind.

Jump to solution

Will do.

Thanks!

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I removed the link form your first post in case it is unsafe.   There are infections that can mimic sender's addresses and email everyone in an address book.  It means that someone who has your email address has a problem, the trouble is, it could be anybody.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.  Does this mean that the email may not have originated from the PC belonging to the person who seemed to be the sender?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

It's possible.   Everyone concerned should scan with whatever antivirus they have installed plus try an independent malware detector such as Malwarebytes Free (don't bother with the paid version, no need for it).

Jump to solution

Thanks again!  I will notify the other person.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Good luck.