cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Merrywobs
Level 7

'Play to' facility in Windows 7 not working

I'm trying to stream audio from a WIndows 7 laptop to a WDTV Live Media streamer. I get a 'Contacting Media Server' message in Windows Media Player, but get no further. All devices seem to be connected to the network properly, and I can transfer files between the laptop and media streamer without difficulty, but 'Play to' doesn't work.

If I switch off my McAfee firewall, having disconnected from the internet first, everything works correctly. So I am assuming this is a firewall problem, but have not been able to find any documentation relating to this problem. Any advice on where I look in the firewall settings to allow Play To to work correctly?  All the relevant looking programs have Full access in 'Program Permissions'.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Aldrin
Level 12

Re: 'Play to' facility in Windows 7 not working

Could you please provide us more information about the Media Streamer!, Does the device has any IP Address (or) do you have any application for the media streamer installed?

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 1/11/10 7:41:07 PM IST
0 Kudos
Merrywobs
Level 7

The media streamer is a Western Digital WDTV Live HD Media Player, connected to my network using a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti Wireless-N WiFi dongle. So it does have an IP address. I can see it on the network, and can transfer files between it and my laptop.

I am trying to access it using the 'Play To' function in Windows 7. The application software is Windows Media Player 12.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Looks like there might be some ports for this "Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti Wireless-N WiFi dongle" which has to be opened in McAfee Firewall.

However, you can try the following:

1. Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Firewall> Settings> Connections> Add the IP Address of the device over there and add them as Home

2. You may also check out this web forums in order to findout whether we need to open any ports for the WiFi dongle

http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?category_id=4

0 Kudos