recently (since today), I'm having heavy issues with the performance of the virus scan. In typical messenger programs (like Miranda or Skype) i receive a high CPU-usage on keyboard input. It goes up to 12% (Which is high, as a Core i7-2600 has "8" virtual cores, which means one is almost at 100%). This issue can only be fixed by turning auto protection off completely.
Another point i want to mention is the incompatibility with VS2010 or SharpDevelop. Both IDE's are affected negatively by a running auto-protection.
In VS2010 Ultimate: Various controls cannot be edited (Properties disappear, Known elements don't update at all), which can be solved be disabling.
In Sharpdevelop: One needs to turn off the "File Change Check" under options or otherwise the IDE's graphical GUI editor will just flicker all the time, trying to reload the file.
One more thing, I'm a student and therefore a "home" user. Then why isn't there even a option to exclude directories from being real-time scanned? I don't get it.
Have a nice day. I hope to receive some helpful answer soon or otherwise I'm forced to change the protection suite to a competitors product.
Could you please let us know which specific McAfee process uses high CPU in task manger ?? Also, turning off auto protection ?? Are you referring to Real time scanner or Access Protection ?
Kindly let us know the following details ;
McAfee Security Center
Aff id :
McAfee Virus scan
Operating system :
Well here are the details requested:
Last Update: 28.09.2011
Last Update: 29.09.2011
DAT-Creation Date: 28.09.2011
Version of Boot-DAT-File: 6474.0000
Boot-DAT-File created on: 19.09.2011
McAfee Personal Firewall: (anyways disabled)
Last update: 19.09.2011
Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, German, 64bit
The process which creates the CPU-Load is: "mcshield.exe"
My realtime scan is configured as following:
- only applications and documents
- E-Mail attachments is the only checked thing
Drives for Media:
- Ask before doing extensive scan
It seems like mcshield.exe is somehow hooked into the keyboard input directly. As when i type, the keyboard response time is really high. Which means i type a sentence and it takes like ages for the text to appear (char for char, not at once).
I have made a screencapture of this, so you can see it live: http://www.kufi.net/problemvideo.mp4 (best played with VLC).
The keyboard thing only happens, if the window containing the chat, is unfocused and refocused (for example clicking the browser while chating, and then switching back). If i close the conversation and reopen it, the problem does not arise...
Very strange thing going on.
This performance issue would require a technician to look at the logs and verify the cause through a remote session. CVould you please click on Useful links at the top of this page and click on Technical support so that our technicians can acquire more details on the issue
Moreover since you would be able to reproduce the issue that would help the technician to take the issue to higher levels if required.