cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canamup
Level 7

Paying for subscription that won't install

I am a paid subscriber but have not been able to reinstall McAfee for several weeks.  The problem originally began when clicking on "Fix" would not fix my unprotected state.  It was reported that several components were missing and I should uninstall and reinstall.  I could never reinstall and the McAfee online chat agent could not as well.  I was told to contact Microsoft which seems like a daunting task.  Now, after trying to reinstall it umpteen times again, I receive the message:  "We're sorry but we are unable to remove one or more threats from your P.C.  Please go to the McAfee Services & support page for help with removal."  Thinking there has to be another way to solve this problem other than paying McAfee more money, I tried using 2 online scanners - ESET and F-Secure but both gave me error messages before tasks were completed.  Am I destined to have to shell out more money to McAfee or is there another course of action I could pursue to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: Paying for subscription that won't install

Hi ,

McAfee attempts to scan and remove detected infections while installing the programs, and if the infections are severe , that’s the time you would receive an error like this.I would suggest you to download and run stinger removal tool from the following link.

1. Download the Stinger tool from the link below:
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

2. Double-click Stinger and select Preferences.
3. Enable the Report Applications option.
4. Click OK.
5. Click Scan Now and allow the scan to complete.

NOTE
: During the scan, you may receive a clean error during on certain .cab files. Ignore the error and allow the scan to complete. The files will be removed when the system is restarted.

6. Restart your computer.
7. Run Stinger again using the steps above. 

Kindly report back if you have any issue running the tool

Regards,
Dinesh K

0 Kudos
canamup
Level 7

I ran Stinger twice as you said.  The first time it reported Number of clean files 527761.  The second time it was 527254.  I'm not sure what to do next.  Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,

Try installing McAfee again , if you still get the same error, it means there exists some threats in the system which needs technical expertise to  remove them safely without any harm to the computer or personal data.

Get in touch with mcafee chat department through http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT  and they will direct you to the concerned department.

Regards,
Dinesh K

0 Kudos