cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd 're-start your computer now' activity after update.

Hello, I have been using McAfee NetProtect Plus for about 7 months & it is supplied by my ISP (BT Yahoo!). Today I had a major McAfee update & a pop-up appeared over the systems tray informing me of the update. I clicked the 'download & re-start your computer now' button on the pop-up & my laptop closed down. It then went into a hibernation mode & I had to manually shut it down (with the on/off switch) & start the computer up again. Usually the start-up is automatic after an update like this.

Has anyone else had this behaviour happen to them? 

Message was edited by: Daveski17 on 11/19/09 9:24 AM
10 Replies
btasm
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: Odd 're-start your computer now' activity after update.

I've experienced a somewhat similar issue. After getting the popup update notice, and installing the update, when my home computer restarted, I lost - and still do not have - use of my keyboard on the affected computer. This occurred immediately after the computer restarted. I could not even type in my password for my user account (Vista). Moreover, the keyboard menue/device drive no longer lists my keyboard as an option. This is a real problem for me since I am now without a keyboard and have no way to reinstall it.

Message was edited by: btasm on 11/19/09 1:01 PM

That's not good. I have a feeling my probem happened on the last McAfee update as well. I have no idea what is causing this phenomenon.

btasm
Level 7
Message 4 of 11

I have sent an email to McAfee support today. Thus far no reply.

I am sure they will get back to you eventually. I have been thinking about what happened with my computer & I have a feeling it happened with a Microsoft update once as well. So it may not be directly related to the McAfee update. I remember the last McAfee update because I posted about it, but I think it actually went OK. I have had this computer for about 17 months & this odd re-start activity has happened about 3 times I think. It may just be a glitch in my software. I will definitely watch for what happens in the next major McAfee update though. I have no idea how you could fix your problem of the keyboard not responding.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Did we try to unplug and replug the keyboard as it could even be a glitch at that time ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

That has just reminded me, on Vista there is an 'On Screen Keyboard' (Accesories - Ease of Access Centre). Although I suppose it is no use if the mouse isn't working.

I have an addendum to this episode. I have just updated Adobe's flashplayer to 10,0,45,2 (both for IE 8 & other browsers) & after updating for IE 8 I restarted the computer to check that it had updated & it went into sleep mode. I started it & re-started & it works OK. I think it had nothing to do with my McAfee AV & is a glitch that happens occasionally on  my computer. Interestingly it often seems to be related to Internet Explorer.  I think that it may be the fact that on the Vista start-up menu 'Re-start' & 'Sleep' are practically right next to each other & although I think that I have hit 'Re-start' I have probably actually clicked 'Sleep'.

In April this year I will have had McAfee installed on my computer for a whole year. I was told that McAfee is a terrible AV by many people & that I shouldn't use it. So far it has worked perfectly & is the best AV I have ever used, it also has one of the best firewalls I have ever seen. I have the utmost faith in it as an AV.

I have just had a McAfee update & had to re-start my computer. Everything is fine. I'm pretty sure now that my McAfee AV has nothing to do with this occasional 'sleep mode' behaviour.  

Dinz
Level 16
Message 10 of 11

Hi daveski,

Glad that your issue is resolved and I appreciate your time to report it back to us.

Do report back if you have any issues on a new thread.

Cheers,

Dinesh K