I have a question about renew/replace Total Protection subscription. If this has been discussed in another post, please direct me to that post.
I currently have 2011 Total Protection 3-licence. It is installed on 3 computers. The subscription is expiring in 2 weeks. The McAfee website only has the option to Renew online. However I purchased a 2012 Total Protection CD with new Product Key. So how do I replace the current subscription with the new one?
It looks like the only option I can think of is to uninstall the current McAfee and install the newer version from the CD; then activate with the new product key? And do I have to do this for each of the 3 computers?
If you renew your subscription online the 2011 version will automatically change to the 2012 version when it eventually becomes available as long as you have a valid subscription. I am sure the 2012 cd you just purchased is the 2011 version that has been repackaged. We mods have voiced our opinions on this practice but it is a marketing strategy and it is used by all the software companies that sell software. The important thing to remember is the valid subscription and you will eventually receive the 2012 version after the first of the year.Message was edited by: k3tg on 11/15/11 3:44:30 PM EST
Thank you for a very quick reply. However, my question is not really about the version. I already purchased the CD at a sale price; so if I click on the Renew button online, the website will make me pay $44.95 again. So my concern is how to have the website recognize the new product key that come with my new purchase. Thank you.
Uninstall and reboot the computer. Run the MCPR found at the top of this page under Useful Links and reboot again. Install the software and enter the key where it prompts you to do so.
I have never had the cd version so I am typing this from my previous notes on this subject.
What we really Need here is a way to apply the new product key to the existibg license and extend it by the year it is good for. It is UNACCEPTABLE to have to uninstall/reinstall for reach product lic level subscrption due dates...
Agreed see your other post customer service might know of another way. Of course if you have a 3 linence cd you can uninstall it from 1 PC reinstall from your CD and thus create a new subscription. then you can run the subscription repair tool to move the other 2 licences over to the new subscription.
That is easier but still not what u are after so ask customer service to help and please post back what they did .
You don't need to uninstall if you currently have a Mcafee product. Just run the CD. I've had Mcafee for several years; always use a CD; and have never uninstalled. I just looked at my new boxed CD and it even says that on the instruction sheet.
If you enroll in McAfee's automatic renewal program, your subscription will be renewed every year at our standard retail rate. This will ensure that your software continually receives the latest updates and upgrades. For more information on how automatic renewal keeps you protected, log in to your "My Account" page from http://home.mcafee.com and select "My Auto-Renewal Setting" from the upper left side of your screen.
I had the same question. However, I just finsihed extended my subscription by doing the following. Make sure you bought the new version for the next subscription year. Such as McAfee Total Protection 2013 for the subscription year 2013. Not 2012 for 2013.
These disc now have a product code number, which makes it much easier to tell that you bought a new years' worth of subscriotions. (At least my Total Protection 2013_3 User did.) I bought a box a few years ago, only to find out that it was a repackage same year program that I already had. So be aware of what year program you have.
Here is what I did:
1. Turn on and log in a computer that has the subscription expiring soon.
2. Open the Store Bought Box and look for the DVD Disc.
3. In same box look for a Product ID code. on a separate piece of paper.
4. Open the computer's CD/DVD tray and place the Disc into the tray.
5. Close Tray and wait for Computer to respond. (This is for Computers that have auto.exe/run on the CD/DVD drives. Other wise lauch the drive through My Computer/.D: Drive etc.. With the Drive letter being the CD/DVD Drive.)
6. Click Yes/Run to McAfee.exe Installer.
7. Wait for Computer Installer to scan the system.
You may be prompted to log into your McAfee Account. So make sure you have your Account Log in infomation handy.
8. Click Extend Subscription Radio Button when the Installer dialog window ask you to either Install or Extend Subscription.
9. Next Installer window prompt should ask you to Enter Product ID and click next.
10. Wait for comfirmation that subscription has been extended and to keep the Product ID and Disc in a safe place.
11. Place Disc and Product ID in a safe spot.
12. Go to other computers and check status of protection. Right click the red and white "M" sheild on Task Bar and click Verify Subscription if needed.
I did log into my McAfee Account prior to using the instalion disc. So if the above does not work try logging into your McAfee Account and keep it open during the instal. I also waited till the last day of my subscription to install the disc. If you are upgrading products (such as Virus Scan 2012 to Total Protection 2013), you may have to use the install and reinstall.
Hope this helps some.