cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Awlknottedup
Level 7

Network problems

I was connected to my sons network when my laptop died.  It was a catastrophic failure of the mother board.  I bought a new laptop and installed McAfee and all is well except the network still think the dead laptop is still connected and is in control of the network.  How can we regain control of the network?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Manoj_AR
Level 10

Re: Network problems

Hi If you are talking about Manage network please try the below steps:

1. Download and save the Network Cleanup Tool (mcnetcln.exe) to the desktop of each computer using the following link:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcnetcln.exe 
2. Disconnect the computers from each other by powering off (or unplugging the power cord from) your network router or switch.
3. Run the Network Cleanup Tool on each computer on your network that was previously managed by McAfee.

4. Power on (or plug in) your network router.
5. Restart the computer that you want to designate as the administrator of your network.
6. Open the McAfee SecurityCenter and then click Manage Network.
Note: This computer automatically becomes the administrator on the managed network. 
7. If prompted, choose to Trust the Network.

0 Kudos
Awlknottedup
Level 7

The problem is that McAfee still sees the dead laptop as still connected to the network.  It is completly dead.

0 Kudos
Manoj_AR
Level 10

Thank you for the reply, please try the above steps and let me know the status.

0 Kudos
Awlknottedup
Level 7

I

will step through as directed but that may have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Manoj_AR
Level 10

Sure I can suggest some more steps if this didn't help.

0 Kudos
Awlknottedup
Level 7

The instructions as given worked fine, everything is OK.

0 Kudos
Manoj_AR
Level 10

Glad to here that.

0 Kudos
South119
Level 7

Hi Manoj_AR,

My problem was I had install two new computer on the home network, having each of them join the managed network, then after transferring files I retired the old computer that had control of the network, removing the HDD and reformatting it to use as a backup HDD.

I had tried searching for a way to regain control of the “manage network” feature a number of times but until reading your reply to this post no obvious solution stood out! Downloaded”mcnetcln.exe”, followed your instructions and I now have regained control of the network.

Thank You very much.

0 Kudos