cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tscof
Level 7

My Mcafee LiveSafe is not finding Updates to download

Hi, I have several computers and I notice on one that it not discovering updates to download. I say that because on my two laptops for the Anti-Spam, the content version is 5837; my suspect computer shows no updates for a week and is on content version 5833. When I run the manual update, it goes through the process and tells me that I have the current version. When I click on software updates, it is showing that it has checked for updates 2-3 times a day. I am not getting an error message when I run the manual updates. It seems that when I reboot the computer some of the McAfee areas do get updated.

Any thoughts? I just Uninstalled/Reinstalled McAfee a week ago.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: My Mcafee LiveSafe is not finding Updates to download

Since you did this 1 week ago what version have you a new version 15.1 is available around then for new installs. Mine is on 5837 for AS

When you uninstalled did you use

Uninstall McAfee

I would reconsider retrying the uninstall using the method above and if still an issue call support

Call Support

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

You could try running the Latest McAfee Virtual Technician, to see if it detects anything improper. Then it will attempt to fix issues it may have found. http://mvt.mcafee.com  You mentioned that you Un-installed/Re-installed a (week) ago?

Did you first remove the software from the Control Panel/Programs and Features/Restart. Then follow up by running the Latest   MCPR   Tool \Restart. Then of course go to your account and re-install. It could be that you may have had some remnants\traces left over from your previous installation...it can happen.

And of course you also have the option to contact Technical Support 24/7 at no cost http://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact   Online Chat/Phone being the most expedient.

All the Best,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Oh well 2 answers better than none.

0 Kudos
tscof
Level 7

Please see my answer. Thanks for advice you might be able to provide. I did have a virus that was removed by mcafee techmaster and then confirmed by an outisde vendor several weeks ago.  But this latest uninstall/reinstall was done after that.

0 Kudos
tscof
Level 7

Please see my answer. Thanks again for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

When you download the latest 'Stinger' read (How to use). Right click on the application and run as 'Administrator'

Tip: You can keep Malwarebytes Free onboard as a Compliment to your McAfee Protection. It can be used as a second opinion 'On Demand Scanner'. And is designed to be compatible with all Anti-Virus applications. Simply (Manually) update on each occasion you run it.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
tscof
Level 7

I had Mcafee support perform the uninstall/install.

Virtual Technician found no problems.

Is it possible a virus is blocking attempts by mcafee to search for updates? With a block, McAfee does not see any updates and therefore doesnt install anything?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

You stated that you contacted Technical Support? If so what was their final say? Also do you have a 'Service Request #?  Anything is possible. Are you current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/to include Internet Explorer 11\and all Add-ons\Extentions.

To include the latest Adobe Flash Player. For a second opinion you can try running some of these Superb Tools, and they are free. I would especially run Stinger\followed by Malwarebytes(Free). To keep it free, do not accept the (Free) trial\or activate the (Pro) Version. 

Regards,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
tscof
Level 7

I contacted customer support and they said it looked like everything was updating as it should ..when I pointed out that my anti-spam content version was 5833 and it should be 5837; I asked why at the least the content didnt update even in the manual update. The support tech did not have an answer here and they asked if i wanted to reinstall. I am in the process of doing that now.

You mentioned the flash player being updated..I am using Chrome as my default browser; Chrome automatically updates the flash player. Do I need to insure IE also has the latest flash player?

0 Kudos