cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bored
Level 7

My CD-ROM Drive is Damaged. Is it possible to download McAfee using a product key?

Jump to solution

Recently I purchased McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 in order to remove some nasty malware off of my computer. Unfortunately it wasn't untill after I purchased the CD that I remembered my CD-ROM Drive has been damaged for about 5 months now. Does anybody know if its possible to download McAfee online using the product key I gained purchasing the CD? I've looked all over the site but I can't find anything that indicates that I can. I would buy the program again online but I believe it would be a large risk considering there is malicious malware on my computer currently.

I've also attempted to fix my CD-ROM Drive numerous times but nothing works.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: My CD-ROM Drive is Damaged. Is it possible to download McAfee using a product key?

Jump to solution

What kind of CD drive is this by the way?  ...If it's in a desktop it's usually pretty cheap to replace, not so cheap for a laptop.  Alternative would be to buy an external USB CD/DVD drive which one can get for not too much money and simply plug and play..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: My CD-ROM Drive is Damaged. Is it possible to download McAfee using a product key?

Jump to solution

I don't believe what you are asking is possible.  Sorry

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hello,
When the installation of McAfee consumer products begins, your computer gets scanned for viruses. This scan will only look at running processes, and will not look for non-active infections, as this would cause the installation to take a very long time to complete.

If you suspect that your computer may have viruses or malware, McAfee recommends running a full system scan with our DOS mode scanner, using this link. -->
DOS SCAN .

A
fter the infections are cleared out , as per your first question , yes you can install mcafee through a product key , by purchasing mcafee antivirus retail card from any store and follow the instructions here to download and install the product.  Get back to us if you come across any issues or questions on this.

Glad to assist .

Regards,
Dinesh K

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Jump to solution

Dinz, I was unaware McAfee offered a retail card. Thank you for posting this information to help this customer.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

What kind of CD drive is this by the way?  ...If it's in a desktop it's usually pretty cheap to replace, not so cheap for a laptop.  Alternative would be to buy an external USB CD/DVD drive which one can get for not too much money and simply plug and play..

0 Kudos
bored
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ah thank you that never occured to me. I'll most likely go out and buy a USB CD/DVD Drive tomorrow. Sometimes I forget just about everything can be placed on a USB cord.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

0 Kudos