cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lustre
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Mcafee limiting user control - Why I WONT be renewing my subscription after 7 YEARS of Mcafee.

This hasn't been the first time I've contacted Mcafee about the same old issue, only to be promised "we are working on that" and years later, it's still not here!

Mcafee is still limited what I CAN and CAN'T allow through SCANS.  More recently I've been having issue with a new game that cost me $80, went through 2 weeks of customer support to sort out the issue to have the

company physically check my PC and CONFIRM that Mcafee was scanning & removing files CRITICAL to game play, which is why I've been unable to play.  They told me to "add the whole folder to the exception list in Mcafee"

however, upon ATTEMPTING this, I get a popup stating "YOU CANNOT EXCLUDE THIS THIS ITEM BECAUSE IT IS A CRITICAL SYSTEM FILE OR FOLDER.  EXCLUDING THIS ITEM CAN CAUSE A SERIOUS  SECURITY

PROBLEM ON YOUR PC"

Now I just find that to be complete and utter bull****, security risk or not is for the USER to decide, I really think a $80 game from a renown company that I cannot play because of Mcafee - another thing I pay for - Is just a complete JOKE.

A few years back I complained about a similar problem and contacted staff, to be informed that 'they were working on it' Since then it's been 3 YEARS and it's STILL NOT FIXED!

I'm still being told what I CAN and CAN'T add to my exception list.  Overall I've had many hours and dollars WASTED either through phone calls or visits to the store to figure out WHY I cant use the game.

I think at this point its just RIDICULOUS to tell a user what they CANT allow through their security scans.  Even my operating system has more USER CONTROL OPTIONS then this stupid anti-virus software.

I understand, warn users by all means about how their PC my become venerable to security threats, add 20 popups warning the user, but DONT and I repeat DONT take away THEIR CONTROL over what happens

to THEIR PC, at the end of the day, warn them, but dont take away that control option, that's what NO anti-virus software should do (Other than to its OWN system files, for obvious reasons).

After 7 years of paying for this anti-virus software, I WONT be renewing my subscription for an 8th year when I CANT even exert a LITTLE control over the anti-virus software.  

11 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20
Message 2 of 12

Re: Mcafee limiting user control - Why I WONT be renewing my subscription after 7 YEARS of Mcafee.

Normally when McAfee detects a File/Program that it deems Suspicious/Unknown. It gives the detection a Generic name called Artemis, until it can be Analyzed. If you feel that the File/Program is indeed Legitimate, you can follow these Guidelines/Instructions :

Quite often Steam/Minecraft/Foxhud and others are detected. In most cases after submitting your detection as instructed, the detection is usually suppressed/cleared. After allowing the appropriate time for it to be processed/analyzed.

If for some reason it is not resolved, please kindly post back the Analysis ID # associated with your confirmation from McAfee that your submission was successful. We can then contact a Technician/Engineer from McAfee Labs to expedite your issue.

Hopefully this will go a long way to change your mind, in regards to Renewing.

Wishing you all the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lustre
Level 7
Message 3 of 12

Re: Mcafee limiting user control - Why I WONT be renewing my subscription after 7 YEARS of Mcafee.

Kind of ridiculous to be honest.  A user shouldn't have to 'read this' 'do that' 'upload here' 'send us this', do the community a favor and simply allow what should have already been allowed, allow the USER to CONTROL what THEY WANT to do.

Version 13.6 has Real Time Scanner exclusions but 1 file at a time not folders.drives such as custom and scheduled scan has.

Mcafee though will not exclude it if the file is found to be a bad malware.

I remember i asked this in a mod call a while back their comment was

WSS (Mcafee) cannot exclude OS and Boot files which will result in being Vulnerable to threats that hide in Program files etc.  Added that Product will not touch/exclude anything that are flagged as System default by Windows OS

I wonder if when you installed the program you choose another folder say 1 called games rather than under Program files

lustre
Level 7
Message 5 of 12

I can assure you NONE of the things I'm trying to exclude are 'OS files' or 'System default files'.  The only thing that they ARE is PROGRAM files and .exe that are INSTALLED to the C: drive.

Windows seems to protect program files or at least tell Mcafee to not touch it. We noticed this when i tried to exclude a file in a folder under program file

I will test this more later on

lustre
Level 7
Message 7 of 12

I really don't understand the concept behind not allowing the user to determine what they allow and what they dont.  I mean really, isn't this kind of restrictive practice ruled out, I mean for a FREE program I understand, but a PAID one.

I strongly don't believe in buying a product that DOES NOT allow the USER FULL CONTROL. For me it's just a shame I've spent HUNDREDS of dollars over the 7 years to keep paying for a subscription, when there are MANY MORE competitive products around which ALLOW users FULL ACCESS for FREE.

For anyone reading this; PLEASE SHOP AROUND.

That is their choice  though any more suggestions to shop elsewhere will break the formus terms of service. We are only volunteer users here but have to follow what McAfee sets up as rules.

Have you tried installing the game elsewhere to the program files folder that would I feel work.

lustre
Level 7
Message 9 of 12

Unfortunately the game has it set to where the user MUST install on the C: drive.  That input is not optional, however I was able to get around that by using a command prompt and moving the folder to a different location and linking it through a symbolic link (using the mklink \d) command.  As for Mcafee, it seems the user can exert limited control over their anti-virus software.  Do I own the software? Or does the software own me? It really seems like the latter of the two.

"We" or you, may only be a volunteer here, but Mcafee sells products and is a company, and they really need to KNOW the feedback of their consumers, and if consumers are asking for more control over the software, how hard is it to really give it?

Y'know, I've had my Mcafee subscription since 2007, and NEVER ONCE have I received an email, or a pop-up asking for feedback from the company.  How can consumers express ways to improve and what the product needs in the consumers eye if, as it appears, Mcafee doesn't care.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 12

McAfee, like all security software makers, has written its software to protect their customers' machines and any connected to them from harm and if those customers were given carte blanche to OK anything they wanted, most of the world's gamers' (for starters) machines would have long since ground to a halt.  So exclusions are limited because not all customers are as sensible as you.  There are processes in place for appeals to the labs to OK software for use and Catdaddy gave my link above that explains that.

You can certainly write to head office if you wish:

McAfee Corporate Headquarters

2821 Mission College Blvd.

Santa Clara, CA 95054

USA