cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mayerz
Level 9

Mcafee installing to wrong hard disk?

Jump to solution

When I try to install Total Protection or Antivirus, I get an error of not enough disk space. I have almost 400GB of free space on my hard drive. I also tried to install MVT and get the same type of error "Insufficient disk space on the specified drive. McAfee Virtual Technician installer requires a minimum of 25 MB disk space."

I also tried to start the chat support and got the error: can't locate program files directory.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mayerz
Level 9

Re: Mcafee installing to wrong hard disk?

Jump to solution

Since nothing seemed to help, I restored my desktop to factory settings and was then able to successfully install Mcafee total Protection.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is there something different about your operating system, such as files and folders having been moved to another drive?

Have you done a disk cleanup lately?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/13 11:58:04 EDT AM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Also what OS and service pack if appicable is this?

0 Kudos
mayerz
Level 9

Jump to solution

Mcafee Total Protection wasn't updating so I removed it and tried to reinstall.

OS is 64 bit Windows 7 service pack 1.

Message was edited by: mayerz on 9/4/13 11:37:27 AM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try running a disk check to see if this is caused by disk-read errors, I recommend a chkdsk /r which fixes errors, see the Tutorial here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

But before doing that do a Disk Cleanup:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

I'm reading online that this is often caused by lack of virtual memory so the above steps should help.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/13 12:59:11 EDT PM
0 Kudos
mayerz
Level 9

Jump to solution

I tried your suggestions of cleanup and chkdsk and I still get the same errors. I have 385GB free on my 500GB hard drive.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

None that I can think of right now, sorry.  Technical Support is available for free by phone or online chat 24/7,  they may know better.

It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I just realised you had trouble with contacting support.

Something is drastically amiss here. Run Malwarebytes Free and maybe AdwCleaner then  I would post a Hijackthis log on the recommended forums lower down the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/09/13 10:38:53 EDT AM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Something else to read as this could be your problem:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/downloads-try-to-install...

OK it may not be the same OS but the principle may still apply.

0 Kudos
mayerz
Level 9

Jump to solution

My registry entry is correct as c:\program files. This seems to be specific to Mcafee products. I have no problem installing other software.

0 Kudos