cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mcafee download warning box re: dlg.pkg

Yes there are four Conduit IE Add-ons.  Two are 'Freecorder Toolbar', two are 'Freecorder 3 Toolbar'.

Not sure why there are two of each.  All of them are dated 09/05/2011.   Freecorder was uninstalled from the pc about six months ago.

More importantly, all of these Add-ons were, and still are, disabled, and still the download messages keep appearing  (twice in the last few minutes).

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 21

According to the Freecorder web page there are two stages to uninstalling it, the application and the toolbar have to be done separately.

http://applian.com/freecorder3/support/user_guide.php

I have uninstalled conduit and a MapNeto1 toolbar that appearantly was related.  They are now removed from my add-on list.  This seems to have worked.

My sincere thanks

Edwin

jaymfe
Level 12
Message 14 of 21

Great!!!

@verynothappy, could you please try the same method on your computer as well?

Thanks, but it's not quite that simple.

Earier I checked the Add-ons again.  By selecting the 'All add-ons' tab (rather than the 'Currently Loaded Add-ons')  two more were listed in addition to the original four. 

These additional ones are 'Freecorder API Server' and 'Freecorder 3 API Server', and both were enabled.

I am not sure if these are significant, as little is found when I google for information.  I disabled both, but still the red pop-ups keep coming.  

Then I tried uninstalling the toolbars using the normal Control Panel Add or Remove Programs.

Both entries were there in the list, but the un-installs failed because the exe's were not there.

I searched the whole C drive, and found quite a few files related to freecorder, but no exe.

Therefore I am now checking the best way to uninstall all Freecorder files. 

Yesterday I eventually manually uninstalled the four main Freecorder applications: Freecorder, Freecorder API server, Freecorder 3 and Freecorder 3 API server.

Since then there have been no real or phantom download warnings.  Thanks for your help.

However, I like to learn from such issues.  Can anyone offer any thoughts on why the warnings were occuring . . .

• Which part of the McAfee suite of software did the message originate from?
  • Why did the warnings occur when using such a wide spectrum of applications?  You would not expect a download to occur, for example, when using WORD or in help.

Thanks again

Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 21

verynothappy wrote:

Yesterday I eventually manually uninstalled the four main Freecorder applications: Freecorder, Freecorder API server, Freecorder 3 and Freecorder 3 API server.

Since then there have been no real or phantom download warnings.  Thanks for your help.

However, I like to learn from such issues.  Can anyone offer any thoughts on why the warnings were occuring . . .

• Which part of the McAfee suite of software did the message originate from?
  • Why did the warnings occur when using such a wide spectrum of applications?  You would not expect a download to occur, for example, when using WORD or in help.

Thanks again

It's hard to say exactly which part of the software gave the warning but I would imagine either SiteAdvisor or most likely the real-time scanning component of VirusScan.

Again I don't know, but I guess it didn't like the way the process was being handled which obviously emulated malware in it's execution.   Stuff is being downloaded all the time behind the scenes as various applications 'call home' to update or to display current information etc.

Thanks again, but it would be useful to have an ID in each message for ease of identification, discussion and to possibly identify the origin.

Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 21

I agree.   Might be a good suggestion to make.  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

Sure.  Site Advisor is at      Version 3.4    Build 3.4.1.195      12/04/2012

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community