cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RPH
Level 7

Mcafee Won't Install & Won't Activate !!! Urgent !

Hi,

I am desperately trying to install some older Mcafee suites I have lying around on a windows 7 laptop.

I have the files from each on my pc (I cannot exactly remember for what year these are for)......

I first tried to install one using the "install" file however a popup appeared saying something about compatibillity issues - I clicked run and nothing happened !

Next, I tried another version using an autorun option and again a compatibillity popup occured but this time the installer worked and Total Protection was installed. However when I go to "activate" it just momentarily popus with a window and then disappears !?

I have multiple folders like these from over the years of receiving Mcafee suites and I know that both these suites in the same format have been installed on a vista machine of mine before without issue !

So can someone urgently please help me to fix this issue and shed some light on the problem !!??

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Mcafee Won't Install & Won't Activate !!! Urgent !

"Some older McAfee suites" - how old?   Anything older than 2011 is basically obsolete.

What operating system and service pack are you trying to install them on and did you run the MCPR cleanup tool to rid yourself of the leftovers from those previous installations?

0 Kudos
RPH
Level 7

Hi Again,

I am not entirely sure you see as they have been stacked in my pc for ages. By the look of the files it seems around 2008 and 2009 ?

But I was under the impression that older Mcafee's work as they will just update to the latest version ?

I managed to get hold of a 2010 version today however that I have never bothered to install and that seems to be working just fine. Weird that the older ones aren't though ?

RPH

*UPDATE*

I JUST UNINSTALLED THE ONE THAT WORKED BECASUE I REALISED THAT I PUT IT ON THE WRONG ACCOUNT AND NOW WHEN I GO TO RE-INSTALL IT - AFTER CLICKING "RUN" IN THE COMPATIBILLITY WINDOW NOTHING HAPPENS !!!!! AND IT WAS JUST WORKING !!!!! WHAT NOW !?

Message was edited by: RPH on 2012/04/01 2:24:39 PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I maybe not quite understandiung you, are these old installation ones that are on machines have been sitting idle since then and no subscriptions have been paid to keep them going?   If that's the case then best to run the cleanup tool and get rid of them and then start over.    But if you have kept the subscription current then yes, they would update each year.

Regarding the text in red, did you run the cleanup tool?

Perhaps it would be best to contact technical Support as they can connect with the machine(s) and tell you what's what better than I.

It's a free phone call or you can use online chat, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
RPH
Level 7

Hi,

Yes I ran the tool.

The files have never been used before and hence why they are old and will need updating but point is that the one I mentioned just worked and now it won't !

I have no idea why !!!??

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You can't expect an installation from 4 years ago to suddenly work.  The software depends on a current online paid subscription and a fresh installation to work.   Something that old wont work even if it installed successfully.

I think you'd best contact Technical Support.

0 Kudos
RPH
Level 7

Ok Thanks, I'll try and contact them.....

RPH

0 Kudos
gamminout
Level 7

Hi, So im havibg a problem that is kinda simular to this. i used to have norton but my subscription has recently expired. so i figured id take advantage of the fact im with shaw and get the Mcafee sucure. Problem is after i download the "McAfeeSetup-Serial.exe" and click run it dosnt do anything. at all. it just closed the window and nothing else happens. id appriciate a responce asap scince my computer is currently unprotected.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Did you uninstall norton via using its own removal tool? That is necessary and before running the setupp of Mcfaee run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

0 Kudos
gamminout
Level 7

I did uninstall norton, but i uninstalled it by going to "Computer then Uninstall or change a program" a norton window came up when it was uninstalling tho.

0 Kudos