Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterw
Level 7

Mcafee / Windows 7 Home Premium issues

Jump to solution

Hi,

Recently I've had a few issues with McAfee and Windows 7 though I'm really not sure how to tackle this.

So, Task Manager is not working, every time I click on the McAfee icon (I'm fully paid up) nothing happens. I did open in safe mode with networking and ran a full scan but this brought nothing to light. I shut down and then logged back in on normal mode but the problem persists. I can use internet ok it seems, though I don't have the McAfee ticks suggesting a site is safe appearing.

Any help / pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Peter W

PS Hope I'm in the right 'Place'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Mcafee / Windows 7 Home Premium issues

Jump to solution

The not responding problem is a known result of a component of the software that is being updated slowly as we speak.  Perhaps it hasn't reached you yet.

In the meanwhile go to Start/Run or click the Windows key + R and type in services.msc

Scroll down to ClientAnalyticsService.

Double-click it and go to Startup Type, change that to Disabled

Apply and OK

Reboot and hopefully the delays will have rectified themselves.

The eventual update will set all these back to the way they were but without the delays.

By telling you to reinstall I was hoping that action would expedite the update.

Should you choose that route do as I suggested.

By "save the downloader to the desktop" I meant when you click download or whatever on your account page, you should be offered the choice of running it or "Save as", I was sauggesting using that Save As option.

6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

I would try the following.  Uninstall everything "McAfee" via Control Panel > Programs and Features, reboot if asked to, run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot.

Now reinstall from your online account.

A hint:  Save the downloader from your account page first to your desktop and that way you've no need to go online without protection.  When saved, right-click, go to Propertis and click Unblock, Apply and OK.  Then you are OK to go.

0 Kudos
peterw
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peter M,

Not sure what you mean by 'save the downloader from your account page'. Sorry I am a novice on Home computing. Also, I've discovered most other M/soft products aren't responding would this affect your suggested solution?

Thanks for your help

Peter W

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The not responding problem is a known result of a component of the software that is being updated slowly as we speak.  Perhaps it hasn't reached you yet.

In the meanwhile go to Start/Run or click the Windows key + R and type in services.msc

Scroll down to ClientAnalyticsService.

Double-click it and go to Startup Type, change that to Disabled

Apply and OK

Reboot and hopefully the delays will have rectified themselves.

The eventual update will set all these back to the way they were but without the delays.

By telling you to reinstall I was hoping that action would expedite the update.

Should you choose that route do as I suggested.

By "save the downloader to the desktop" I meant when you click download or whatever on your account page, you should be offered the choice of running it or "Save as", I was sauggesting using that Save As option.

peterw
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peter M,

Have finally got everything operational again thanks to your advice.

Thanks again,

Peter W

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Glad to hear it.  Good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20