cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee Using 332,000kb Ram

Mcafee through Mcshield.exe is using ~332mb of ram from my computer.

The process doesn't show up in task manager and I had to go into resource monitor to even get a look at it.

332mb for a antivirus seems excessive. Is this normal? Is there a fix for it? And if there isn't, how do I get a refund?

7 Replies

Re: Mcafee Using 332,000kb Ram

maybe have a look at your exclusions? what other programs do you have running on this server, backup exec maybe?

here is a great article with exclusions that constantly being updated:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/953.microsoft-anti-virus-exclusion-list.a...

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Is this the home version or enterp[rise. The home version 12.* of security centre on access scanner uses that much ram and mcshield is 1 program that is covered by it. Yes it does use this much mine at this time is sitting at 384Mb.

I will reask the techsbut provided you are not on 512Mb ram It should run fine. The specs say 2Gb ram for windows7/8/vista and teh 512mb for xp is a tad low.

Highlighted

@minion: I managed to account for all ram being used by my computer by taking total avaliable ram and subtracting reserved + major processes.

@PK: My laptop has 4GB of ram so it's not much of an issue when I'm not going anything other than browsing. But when I try to go into video editing or gaming I actually manage to cap out ram at 95-99%.

This is the home verson of Mcafee Internet security. The only reason I made a post is because I bought a 3 PC package and a roomate is running the same Mcafee AV version. However his resource draw is at a little less than 80mb, 1% cpu whereas mine is hovering from 330-350 with 1-5% cpu usage.

I've tried toggling active scanning on and off without any change in resource usage.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Strange what version are you both using? You both on the same operating systems?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/09/13 6:50:02 AM

Whichever the latest version is.

Both systems are running Windows 7 Home Premium. My original resource draw was roughly the same as my roomates when I first installed Mcafee. But after running a full scan it shot up.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Try setting use minimal resources in scheduled scan settings. From what the techs say there will be a fix re lowering the usage out soon though why your mastes PC is so low beats me. Mine again was 379mb after boot.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.