cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 55

Mcafee Total Protection is always showing as updating but won't update until I open it, but I have automatic updates on

Good afternoon.  I am running the most current version of Mcafee Total Protection.  The small icon on the bottom of my right taskbar shows Mcafee is always in a state of updating with the loading blue circle in the bottom corner of the icon.  I have updates set to download and install automatically.  If I open TP, it then checks for updates and installs them.  I have uninstalled TP and used the Mcafee software removal tool.  I then redownloaded it from the Mcafee site.  When it just updated it says:

You have the latest updates available.

automatic updates: on

Next check for updates tonight at 8:35PM

Now at the bottom of my taskbar, the Mcafee icon is not showing the blue updating circle.  It is just showing the 'M' shield as normal.  Is this something anyone else is experiencing and is there any solution to it?  Thanks in advance.

54 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 55

Re: Mcafee Total Protection is always showing as updating but won't update until I open it, but I have automatic updates on

There is a known bug with a "phantom" update check running and a fix is coming down the pipe very soon, date unknown.

xboxerj
Level 9
Message 3 of 55

Re: Mcafee Total Protection is always showing as updating but won't update until I open it, but I have automatic updates on

I appreciate the response, but I don't know if that is the same issue.  When I open Total Protection, it suddenly shows it as updating and shows the results being downloaded and then installed.  Even right now the icon is now showing it is updating.  My issue is that if I don't constantly open TP and let it download and install updates how am I sure it is actually updating to handle new threats?  I don't want to have to worry about not having up to date protection on.

This has been happening for some time.  I was hoping it might resolve itself or have a patch come out.  I just finally got irritated enough tonight to want to check into it.

This the same as I saw when I report the issue 1 mth ago the updates seem to still come through but the blue thingy says 100% complete and you open it and it says you are up to date. i am running the fix in beta atm and works fine.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 55

You've no need to worry.  SecurityCenter would be red and popping up warnings it's out of date if updates weren't working.   The issue with the icon showing updating going on almost constantly is a bug which will be fixed shortly.

xboxerj
Level 9
Message 6 of 55

But when I open the program itself, it actually shows it downloading when I do.  It starts at 0 and goes to 100%.  Then it shows the updates installing right in front of me.  Is that what everyone is showing, or is it just showing as updating?  When I open it it is green, but it doesn't update in the background.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 55

This is all part of the phantom updates I talked about elsewhere...a fix is on the way.

xboxerj
Level 9
Message 8 of 55

Thank you for your assistance and your answers.  I'll keep a look out at this point for when it is fixed.  I'm glad to know that it is working fine as far as updating my protection.  Take care.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 55

OK, all the best ;-)

For those of us having this "phantom update" issue, is there a convenient way to get the notification when a fix is released? I am following this convo, but is there a better way? Thanks