cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee Removal Tool leaving keys in the registry

Other antiviral programs won't load as long as the MCRP is leaving trash in the registry.

Why do I have to manually remove Mcafee browser plugins from the registry after using the latest Mcafee removal tool?

15 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 16

Re: Mcafee Removal Tool leaving keys in the registry

That shouldn't happen in most cases, unless certain types of software were installed, the old Anti-Theft for instance..    Also Enterprise/Business software can't be removed in that manner.

Normal removal via Control Panel > Programs and Features should be performed first.

Are you sure that you obtained a brand-new version of MCPR from http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp  and that you rebooted when asked to ?

Technical Support is free of charge should you need it:  Contact Support

Meanwhile all I can say is sorry on behalf of McAfee/Intel.

I'm just a volunteer here.

---

Peter

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 3 of 16

I might add also, that the Security App that you were attempting to install. Quite possibly could have become corrupt during your initial installation. After following Colleague Ex_Brit suggestions, just to make certain. I would in addition remove the 'Security Application' through normal means (Programs/Features/Add Remove/Restart)

Then use the particular Removal Tool for that app you were attempting to install, and remove any remnants/restart.

Then proceed to install again.

Just my 2 Cents...

I also apologize for any inconvenience you have had to endure.

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Thanks for the reply.

We don't know how it got on the system. We assume it was spamware from one of the Adobe downloads that got removed with Programs and Features. It certainly wasn't listed with the other programs.  In fact the only way it was discovered was when we tried to test another antiviral program and it wouldn't load until we removed Mcafee.

The problem was we tried removing all Mcafee keys from the registry and ended up with a BSOD when we tried to use Firefox.  Unfortunately when we contacted Mcafee Support that was exactly what they told us to do.

So... I though someone in the Forums might have some ideas.

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 5 of 16

Was the Application called 'McAfee Security Scan Plus'? If so you can safely remove it as it is basically a Marketing App, checking your system for Anti-Virus applications.

The reason I ask, is that you have pay close attention when 'Downloading/Installing' especially Adobe Products. Simply uncheck the optional offers (Bundled) with the download itself.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

We have no idea what the original software was called since it wasn't listed in Programs and features when we discovered that the new antiviral program wouldn't load.

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 7 of 16

I see...So can we now assume you have resolved your issues? If so, please kindly mark it appropriately as 'Correctly Answered'

If that is not the case, please advise.

All the Very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Well since we still don't know which of the Mcafee registry keys to remove without crashing the system. And we can't test other antiviral products until we know which ones to remove, this is hardly resolved.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 16

Call support back and ask for escalation.

Okay I'll try that. I want to thank you guys for trying...