cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 169

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Well I guess we'll never know what is reacting with McAfee in your system.  As stated earlier in the thread, this has never been reported except in this thread and there are at least 100 million subscribers, so without working on the problem directly, it'll remain a mystery.  Unless someone else sees it and reports it and works with support.

Good luck.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 72 of 169

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Ok understand your point techiefive but as Peter said to solve this we and the users needs to do legwork as 3 in x million users only seeing this will not get Mcafee interested in chasing it. That is my opinion. I have tested it for 12 hrs and not seen it with the focus program and a clean install then add programs and test it is really the way to go. Sorry I cannot test anymore  and I do not have most of what was listed in the program list to install myself.

rojoham
Level 7
Message 73 of 169

Jump to solution

Hi, I just finished reading through this thread and I can confirm that I am having the same issues as the other 3. I have been having this issue for over a year now and I was completely baffled. I could ignore it until recently when I started playing a game that would minimize when it lost focus then crash. I just happened to notice that McAfee was doing something when my current window lost focus. Then my window came back after 2 seconds and McAfee stopped doing whatever it was doing.

I took a look at what programs jameskyker had installed and we have a few similar programs installed.

1. Visual Studio 2010 (although this can’t be causing it as I was having the problem months before that was installed)
  2. Office 365(probably not it as a ton of people have this)
  3. We both have Lenovo Computers running Win 8.1 (I find that suspicious)

It’s also important to note that I do NOT have total protection. Just Internet Security.

Reliable Contributor
Message 74 of 169

Jump to solution

I see James has Lenovo as well but I am unsure if the other laptop he is testing is teh same brand. also duck4ducks might not have 1 as well if all 4 are well we might be on to something but i fear not. I got James to try a registry change and as far as I remember that fixed it but we are disabling something that needs to run so it was only done for a test.

It is best that all call support and get a job number point them here and tell them what you did. If you have already reinstalled tell them they will try that as a first fixhttp://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS.

Services and Support for Home and Office

It is the smart messaging alert' module is what is caused the focus loss but I feel it is clashing with something else as I tried to repro the focus loss and could not.

corsa1r
Level 7
Message 75 of 169

Jump to solution

I have had this issue for awhile now... not sure how long as it is so intermittent, but I reformatted my OS and reinstalled Mcafee to find McUICnt.exe stealing focus from my browser and a couple other programs in windows.  I am trying some ancillary solutions and some of the things in this thread, but I have no idea why it's stealing focus recently.  If anyone knows any new information about this issue, please share!

EDIT: I can confirm this is happening every hour on the second from McUICnt.exe, it will make my browser window become inactive.... I turned off all alert messages and it's still happening.. sigh

Reliable Contributor
Message 76 of 169

Jump to solution

I know how to stop it but it disables core Mcafee services. I tested my PC for 3 days and could not get it to lose focus. When you reinstalled and reformated did you install anything else before Mcafee?

corsa1r
Level 7
Message 77 of 169

Jump to solution

Hmm... it looks like I installed most drivers including wireless drivers, Firefox, a 'Mozilla Maintenance Service', not sure what that is with FF,  Steam, and some other diagnostic bits from Dell.

Reliable Contributor
Message 78 of 169

Jump to solution

Until Peacekeeper responds perhaps you could also check in your Program list that you haven't inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus, as the headline exe can be a part of that too.  It is merely a sales tool that optionally downloads with other products such as Adobe - anything, and can safely be uninstalled in the normal way.

corsa1r
Level 7
Message 79 of 169

Jump to solution

Thanks. I know I didn't install that but looked anyway, it isn't there.  The next thing I was thinking of trying is simply uninstalling Mcafee and using the MCPR tool, then maybe reinstalling and seeing if it works out any kinks happening.

Reliable Contributor
Message 80 of 169

Jump to solution

You said earlier; "some diagnostic tools from Dell", what tools?  In my experience they often cause interference with McAfee's processes.

But I'm only guessing as none of us have ever experienced these particular symptoms.