cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameskyker
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 51 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Yeeeehaw! So far, no problems. I started the monitoring software at 1:39 PM, and I have not had any focus losses. It appears the registry change is providing more information. I will let it run over night, just to be sure. If all is well tomorrow, shall I put the registry key back in place to determine if the issue reappears?

Best,

J.G.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 52 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

If you can thanks  most of those installed programs are microsoft or standard programs I hope dusck2 ducks replies I want to see what is installed that is common.

jameskyker
Not applicable
Message 53 of 166

Jump to solution

I let the old laptop run until now with the registry entry removed. There were no window focus issues at all since the registry key was removed. Nothing was logged at all. The computer just sat on the same window for over 24 hours.

I have now reinstated the registry key. I performed the following steps:

1. Disabled access protection.

2. Merged the exported key from yesterday.

3. Enabled access protection.

4. Rebooted.

I will report tomorrow whether I am experiencing window focus issues again.

Reliable Contributor
Message 54 of 166

Jump to solution

Thanks sounds as if they are on to something though what causes it when 20million minus 2 users do not see it beats me.

jameskyker
Not applicable
Message 55 of 166

Jump to solution

I have an update. Since reinstating the registry key, I am now losing focus every 3 hours again. Please bear in mind that this is on a fresh install of McAfee Total Protection. One of the steps I performed before the registry change was to completely uninstall and reinstall McAfee Total Protection.

Based on the evidence presenting in this thread, McAfee Total Protection users probably are experiencing it. However, they do not know how to determine what is causing it. On top of that, they probably think the last thing that could be causing it is a McAfee product, as I did initially.

Best,

J.G.

jameskyker
Not applicable
Message 56 of 166

Jump to solution

I should clarify that the uninstall/reinstall occurred a few weeks ago. So, it is a relatively fresh install.

Reliable Contributor
Message 57 of 166

Jump to solution

So the "fix" works try applying it on the laptop after you check the focus issue for a day or two.

I have never seen the loss of focus occur maybe never was looking at the screen.

I am not going to buy the program that shows when it happens but have another thought . that list of installed programs can you strike out those not on the laptop please. I appreciate the trouble you are taking with helping me figure this out.

jameskyker
Not applicable
Message 58 of 166

Jump to solution

Sure thing! I am happy to help figure this out. I have let the laptop sit now for a day or so, and it is still triggering the focus change automatically every 3 hours (to the second). I will give it another day, and tomorrow, I will apply the "fix" to see if it stops it. Just out of curiosity, I presume it is unsafe to disable the message alerts with that registry change?

Also, all the programs posted are from the laptop. I only ran a report on the laptop. Therefore, what is posted here is directly from the laptop.

My main computer is affected as well. However, I did not post the installed programs on that machine. Would that help troubleshoot? I have much more installed on my main computer. The old laptop is a planned give-away, and in preparation for that, I was uninstalling programs until it donned on my that it would be a good test machine for this. That is why there is not much on it. Of course, when I began running these tests, I stopped uninstalling any software, as I did not want too many variables affecting the test outcomes.

Best,

J.G.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 59 of 166

Jump to solution

We're all of the opinion that you must have something unique installed that is common to all your machines that is affecting McAfee in a way to cause this loss of focus as none of the Moderators have ever seen this happen. 

I've been using McAfee since around 2001 and have never seen it, ever.

This is really a head scratcher.  ;-)

jameskyker
Not applicable
Message 60 of 166

Jump to solution

Maybe I can try to wipe the Windows 8.1 OS on that laptop, format the hard drive, reinstall Windows 8.1 and just McAfee Total Protection, and then see if it still happens. I don't know. It seems like that was an upgrade machine... so, I doubt I can do that.

I know all of you say that you have not seen it. That does not mean you are unaffected. Maybe at that specific 1.5 second when the computer jumps focus to another window and back again, you are not looking at the screen. It is typically a very brief ordeal. I can probably live with it, now that I know what it is.

What was absolutely driving me up the wall was that I could not figure out what it was. I am fairly confident now that I know what it is. The fact that I can remove a piece of McAfee from running and the problem stops, and then I can add that piece back in again and the problem resurfaces satisfies my curiosity. Not to mention, I have reproduced the issue on 2 machines now.

Yeah... I am done with this. If it bothers me any more, I will just switch to some virus protection company from one of the former USSR countries. LOL I doubt it will come to that.

Best,

J.G.