cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

It occurred to me, as I don't ever see anything stealing focus on my machine, that yours may have limited resources.

I have various software that periodically have tasks oir check for updates and I don't notice any change when it's happening.

Does it meet or exceed the minimum system requirements?  See that column here:  Antivirus Firewall Software, Spyware Removal, Spam Filters | McAfee Total Protection 2015

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

I just wanted to post that I'm having this same problem too.  I hope that an answer can be found so I don't have to change to a different product when my subscription is up.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 43 of 166

Jump to solution

OK just reread the thread as Peter(Ex_Brit ) says he has not ever seen this happening but then I suppose you need that focus program jamesskyker has to check it or stare at the screen for 3 hrs..

I will bring up this issue at tomorrows mod call . Selvan is on the call he is the forum tech as well as higher level techs so we will see if they can come up with something.

Jamesskyker did you ever call support and if so have you a SR job number?

Reliable Contributor
Message 44 of 166

Jump to solution

OK we have movement here and a workaround to try any1 interested in changing a registry key? You can test it and return to where you were easily.

The only task Mcafee has that has  a 3 hr cycle is smart messaging alert module.

Post here and I will "friend" you and Private Message you the change required.

Jump to solution

Yes, please. I am interested in trying the fix. I have an old laptop sitting, ready for optimization. It is consistently reproducing the issue on Windows 8.1. I had intended to try some of the former suggestions, but I have not had a chance yet.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I had an out-of-state trip that turned things upside down for a little while. If you send me the reg key, I can probably get it changed on the laptop, reboot, and see if it alters the behavior overnight.

Best,

J.G.

Jump to solution

Sorry, I did not have a chance to call support. Therefore, I do not have an SR number.

Best,

J.G.

Reliable Contributor
Message 47 of 166

Jump to solution

We are curious that you and duck2ducks have this as no-one other than you have reported in in 20 million installs+ .

Would it be possible to post or PM me the list of programs you have installed plus the version numbers. I wonder as your laptop had it that there is a program common to your laptop and PC that is not a normal install to the rest of we users.

Jump to solution

I have accomplished the requested registry change, and I am now monitoring the computer for lost focus. I will post an update tonight on whether the focus has been lost again.

Also, the reg key did not have Wow6432Node. I was able to find the rest of the reg key though. It was accurate except for the Wow6432Node.

Here is a dump of installed programs on the old laptop using the following command in PowerShell:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select-Object -Property Name

Name                                                                                                                  

----                                                                                                                  

HPDiagnosticAlert                                                                                                     

Microsoft Application Error Reporting                                                                                 

Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component                                                                        

Office 15 Click-to-Run Localization Component                                                                         

Office 15 Click-to-Run Licensing Component                                                                            

Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types                                                                                 

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4974                                                        

NuGet                                                                                                                 

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects                                                                          

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages 2 Runtime                                                                                 

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219                                                           

Citrix Receiver Updater                                                                                               

Microsoft Web Platform Installer 4.0                                                                                  

Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK                                                                                           

32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer                                                                                    

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages - VWD Express 2010 Tools                                                                  

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2 - VWD Express 2010 Tools                                                                      

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU                                                           

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3                                                                                               

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Runtime - 10.0.40219                                                                   

Self-service Plug-in                                                                                                  

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express - ENU                                                                                

Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.4                                                                   

Citrix Authentication Manager                                                                                         

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2                                                                                               

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)                                                           

Citrix Receiver (HDX Flash Redirection)                                                                               

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 - VWD Express 2010 Tools Update                                                               

Microsoft Web Publish - Visual Web Developer Express 2010                                                             

Bing Bar                                                                                                              

Windows Azure Authoring Tools - October 2012 Release                                                                  

Citrix Receiver(DV)                                                                                                   

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 ENU CTP1                                                                         

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161                                                        

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Data-Tier App Framework                                                                     

Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1                                                                                             

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack                                                                       

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client                                                                               

Web Deployment Tool                                                                                                   

WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1                                                                                             

Citrix Receiver(Aero)                                                                                                 

Citrix Receiver Inside                                                                                                

Online Plug-in                                                                                                        

Citrix Receiver(USB)                                                                                                  

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU                                                                              

Microsoft Silverlight                                                                                                 

Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK                                                                                           

Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0                                                                                              

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages                                                                                           

Windows Azure Emulator - October 2012 Release                                                                         

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - ENU                                                                     

Jump to solution

Okay, I noticed Mozilla FireFox is not in the above list. Therefore, it must be inaccurate. I ran this in PowerShell to produce the following list:

PS C:\Users\Jgkyker> Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |  Select-Object Displ

ayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize

Unfortunately, it does not paste very well. Many programs that were missing from the former list are appearing.

DisplayName                                                              DisplayVersion Publisher                     I

n

s

t

a

l

l

D

a

t

e

-----------                                                              -------------- ---------                     -

7-Zip 9.20                                                                                                            

Adobe Flash Player 16 NPAPI                                              16.0.0.296     Adobe Systems Incorporated    

Citrix Receiver                                                          13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          

ThinkPad Modem                                                           7.62.00                                      

FXDD - MetaTrader                                                        4.00           MetaQuotes Software Corp. P   

FXDD - MetaTrader                                                        4.00           MetaQuotes Software Corp. P   

Greenshot 1.1.5.2643                                                     1.1.5.2643     Greenshot                     2

Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1                                                1.1.40219      Microsoft Corporation         

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express - ENU                                   10.0.30319     Microsoft Corporation         

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)              10.0.50903     Microsoft Corporation         

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - ENU                        10.0.30319     Microsoft Corporation         

Mozilla Firefox 35.0 (x86 en-US)                                         35.0           Mozilla                       

Mozilla Maintenance Service                                              35.0           Mozilla                       

McAfee Total Protection                                                  14.0.207       McAfee, Inc.                  

Microsoft Office 365 - en-us                                             15.0.4675.1003 Microsoft Corporation         

OANDA - MetaTrader                                                       4.00           MetaQuotes Software Corp. P   

Lenovo Power Management Driver                                           1.67.04.05                                   

ThinkPad UltraNav Driver                                                 16.2.19.7                                    

VLC media player                                                         2.1.5          VideoLAN                      

Windows Azure Emulator - October 2012 Release                            1.8.31004.1351 Microsoft Corporation         1

Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK                                              4.0.50826.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Web Deployment Tool                                                      1.1.0618       Microsoft Corporation         2

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU              4.0.8080.0     Microsoft Corporation         2

Self-service Plug-in                                                     3.4.300.43589  Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Citrix Receiver(USB)                                                     13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK                                              3.0.40818.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 - VWD Express 2010 Tools Update                  3.0.20406.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Web Platform Installer 4.0                                     4.0.1692       Microsoft Corporation         2

Citrix Receiver Updater                                                  3.4.300.10     Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Microsoft Web Publish - Visual Web Developer Express 2010                1.1.31017.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

McAfee SiteAdvisor                                                       3.7.182        McAfee, Inc.                  

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU                                 3.5.8080.0     Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages - VWD Express 2010 Tools                     1.0.20105.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)              10.0.50908     Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1                                                1.1.40219      Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express - ENU                                   10.0.30319     Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2 - VWD Express 2010 Tools                         2.0.50217.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Runtime - 10.0.40219                      10.0.40219     Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages                                              1.0.20105.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Online Plug-in                                                           13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Citrix Receiver(DV)                                                      13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

HPDiagnosticAlert                                                        1.00.0000      Microsoft                     2

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - ENU                        10.0.30319     Microsoft Corporation         2

Update for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - ENU (KB2483190) 1              Microsoft Corporation         

Windows Azure Authoring Tools - October 2012 Release                     1.8.31004.1351 Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Silverlight                                                    5.1.30514.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Windows Azure Emulator - October 2012 Release                            1.8.31004.1351 Microsoft Corporation         2

Office 15 Click-to-Run Licensing Component                               15.0.4675.1003 Microsoft Corporation         2

Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component                           15.0.4675.1003 Microsoft Corporation         2

Office 15 Click-to-Run Localization Component                            15.0.4675.1003 Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Application Error Reporting                                    12.0.6012.5000 Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 ENU CTP1                            4.0.8854.1     Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161           9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation         2

PDF-Viewer                                                               2.5.209.0      Tracker Software Products Ltd 2

NuGet                                                                    1.2.103.0      Microsoft Corporation         2

32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer                                       7.1.8          Hewlett-Packard               2

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Data-Tier App Framework                        11.1.2818.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.4                      10.1.2512.8    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4974           9.0.30729.4974 Microsoft Corporation         2

Citrix Authentication Manager                                            4.0.0.53726    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Citrix Receiver(Aero)                                                    13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types                                    10.51.2500.0   Microsoft Corporation         2

Citrix Receiver Inside                                                   3.4.300.10     Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages 2                                            2.0.20715.0    Microsoft Corporation         

Citrix Receiver (HDX Flash Redirection)                                  13.4.300.10    Citrix Systems, Inc.          2

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack                          4.0.30319      Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3                                                  3.0.50813.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1                                                4.1.60114.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects                             11.0.2100.60   Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2                                                  2.0.60926.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0                                                 3.1236.1631    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages 2 Runtime                                    2.0.20715.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client                                  11.2.5058.0    Microsoft Corporation         2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219              10.0.40219     Microsoft Corporation         2

Bing Bar                                                                 7.3.124.0      Microsoft Corporation         2

Reliable Contributor
Message 50 of 166

Jump to solution

Duck2ducks can you check jamesskyker's list of programs and highlight what you have in common I mean this mainly for non standard programs but better do all you find.

James thank you for the trouble you have taken getting the list.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.