cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

I will definitely give this a try.

At this point, I have uninstalled McAfee Site Advisor only on the old laptop (Total Protection is still installed). I rebooted, and I will monitor to see if the issue still occurs over the next day or so. If so, I will then remove Total Protection to see what happens. Hopefully, we will have some answers!

If it is McAfee Total Protection, I will definitely try any of the suggestions here before uninstalling permanently. I want McAfee to work, as it is the virus protection used at my workplace. That tells me it is still very good software, and that is why I switched to it again after years of using various antivirus packages from obscure countries (in itself a red flag, if you ask me).

I am confident we will get this resolved! It is just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. Fortunately, this is nothing more than an annoyance that is mostly affecting my Lumosity reaction time scores. I suppose, worst case, I could simply time my reaction speed trials around the 3 hour window.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Well good luck, hope things pan out for you.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the well wishes!

I still experienced the issue after removing Site Advisor. Therefore, it has nothing to do with that. Afterward, I removed McAfee Total Protection, and the issue no longer occurs. Nothing steals the focus.

I will now install a fresh copy of McAfee Total Protection onto the old laptop and verify that the issue returns.

Reliable Contributor
Message 34 of 166

Jump to solution

When you removed it did you also run the MCPR cleanup tool afterwards ands reboot before installing anything else?

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Jump to solution

No, I did reboot. However, I did not run the MCPR utility. The focus problem did disappear though. Therefore, it seems like the MCPR utility was unnecessary to prove my installation was the culprit. However, I believe what you are suggesting is that I should run MCPR before I reinstall. That is probably a good idea. I will try that out to be sure that everything is clean on the reinstall.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Reliable Contributor
Message 36 of 166

Jump to solution

That's interesting.  The installer runs a sort of MCPR anyway if it detects a previous installation, so you're probably fine.

Did you ever run any dort of registry cleaner or optimizer or have any malware?  Just trying to think why this should have cleaned up the problem.

Jump to solution

No, I only uninstalled McAfee Total Protection and rebooted. I wanted to be very precise with that step. That is why I am using an old laptop to reproduce/isolate the issue. My main system is too important to me to uninstall virus protection.

I probably will not get to reinstall anything tonight, and I will be away on a trip next week. Therefore, if I do not get to this tomorrow, it will have to sit for a week at least.

Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 166

Jump to solution

Well good luck ;-)

Moderator selvan
Message 39 of 166

Re: Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

I couldn't think of anything else right now. Maybe we should wait for your Observations. The Process indicates that McAfee is trying to notify you of a Network Activity such as Blocked Incoming Connections/New Device on the Network/Open Ports etc However all these can be turned OFF in McAfee's settings. Could you please help me with the Event Viewer logs to proceed further. Open Event Viewer and see if you could figure out something at the time of Windows losing Focus.

Jump to solution

Hello, in post 20, I disabled the informational alerts. However, this did not resolve the issue. From post 20, "I have disabled the Informational Alerts under View All Settings --> Informational Alerts." Is this what you mean?

After reinstalling McAfee Total Protection, the focus stealing issue has returned. I did not even have to reboot. Please bear in mind that this happened after:

1. I verified the focus issue occurred on a separate machine (2 machines now are having this problem).

2. I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection.

3. I did not experience the issue for an entire 24+ hours.

4. I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

5. Focus stealing occurs every 3 hours by McUICnt.exe.

I am reproducing the issue on an old laptop. It really does not have much on it in its current state because I have removed most of the programs in order to give it to someone else. Therefore, it seemed like a suitable test vehicle. Please note that I have not removed anything other than McAfee products since I accomplished #1 above in this post. When I examined the Event Viewer logs, nothing was close to the trigger time of 6:08 PM (the last time this occurred). The closest event was over an hour later.

I checked these logs in the Event Viewer, and nothing registered close to the trigger time:

-- Application

-- Security

-- Setup

-- System

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.