cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 169

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Googling this I see it's a common issue although I've never seen it on my rig.

One user reported this fixed it:

I turned off Windows Error Reporting, and problem went away.

Start > Control Panel > type reporting > Choose how to report problems > Never check for solutions > OK

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 22 of 169

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter....be back later today @ some point.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Okay, after the reboot, it still triggered. I will try the McAfee Getsusp Tool to see if there is anything awry with the installation. If that is a negative, I will eliminate Windows Error Reporting, per instructed.

Lost focus at 10/21/2014 10:06:02 PM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/22/2014 1:06:01 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/22/2014 4:06:01 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Best,

J.G.

Jump to solution

Just wanted to quickly mention that this is still occurring. I recently went through an out-of-state move and did not have time to troubleshoot. However, I will be reevaluating ASAP.

Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 169

Jump to solution

I'll ping Selvan in Support to see if he has any ideas.

Jump to solution

Okay, I at least reproduced it again:

Lost focus at 1/6/2015 11:12:45 PM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 1/7/2015 2:12:45 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 1/7/2015 5:12:45 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 1/7/2015 8:12:45 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

The program I am using to monitor this is called Focus Taker.

Now that I have proven it is still the same issue, I will try to reread through thread and attempt the suggestions where I left off.

Jump to solution

I have decided that I need to rule out some sort of an issue with my machine. Therefore, I will try to reproduce this on another machine that has Windows 8.1 and McAfee Antivirus as well. If I can do that, I will then uninstall McAfee Antivirus to determine if the issue goes away. On the other hand, if I am unable to reproduce it on another machine, then I know that something is awry with my McAfee installation on this computer... which would seem very weird to me but nonetheless possible, I suppose. This may take me a few days or weeks.

Best,

J.G.

Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 169

Jump to solution

Sounds logical.  Meanwhile I'll re-ping Selvan the support guy.

Jump to solution

I have successfully reproduced this issue on an old laptop. It is running Windows 8.1, 32 bit. The same issue occurs precisely as my primary system. The timing is the same as well, every 3 hours.

The next step is to uninstall McAfee from that laptop to see if the issue disappears. What I am wondering is if McUICnt is inadvertently hiding the identity of the true culprit. Removing it will determine the case. If I remove McAfee, the issue disappears, and my McAfee installation validated correctly (based on former diagnostics), it must be something in the McUICnt programming that is causing the problem.

We will probably know in a couple of days. I plan to go ahead and let the laptop sit another 6 hours to see if it continues to have issues.

Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 169

Jump to solution

Looking online for general hints on "application stealing focus" I came across this, is it any help?

http://www.joejiko.com/blog/prevent-applications-stealing-focus-windows-8/