cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaxmoto
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 91 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Well I tried, but it seems to only offer chat and phone.  I chose chat and got a nice guy that completely does not understand what "loss of focus" means and only offered help if I allow a remote connection to control my PC...  which is not needed in this case as the issue is  only every 3 hours and I'm not having someone in another country dig through my PC (especially one who demonstrated he does not evern understand the issue, he thought I was "getting popups").

In all honesty I knew this would be the case.  Unless there is a way to force the issue to a higher tier support then there is no way to get any real help on this (which is why I brought it here).  I'm not willing to have remote connections for an issue like this that is CLEARLY not a "dig around my PC to find the cause" type of problem.  Plus if he were to change something in my system without my knowledge then it could seriously screw me over.

I guess if you can't trust your customers to follow instructions and they don't trust techs from other countries who can't understand the problem and want remote connections...  there isn't much you can do.

Oh well, maybe I can get a couple dollars each for the boxed copies I bought and put it towards switching to something else.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 92 of 166

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

The 1st line always asks standard questions.  Call them back and ask for escalation giveing the case ID # from the last session..

jaxmoto
Level 7
Message 93 of 166

Jump to solution

I'd consider it, but we have a forum post here where after 8 months there has been no resolution posted.  The only things offered are disabling error reporting (not an option, not killing Windows services just so Mcafee does not conflict) and some mysterious registry fix that seemed to vanish.  One person says one thing works when I can confirm it doesn't.  Plus I have the problem that this PC runs a lot of stuff, but the issue occurred on initial setup after a few days when only Chrome and Windows updates had been installed...  so going through the 100 programs I have installed is not going to help and that is where support is going to take it.

In the end I'll probably waste a lot of time and end up with Mcafee assuming something on my system is causing it (like was done in this thread).  To me it is pretty easy.. there are multiple Mcafee reports showing that the enterprise edition has had this problem a number of times in a number of components.  Updating, after scans, after installs... there have been multiple updates to resolve loss of focus problems.  So to me, as someone who troubleshoots software in a corporate environment, it is not something I can work with a lower level tech and resolve.  My hopes were that someone here can pass the info off to higher level techs or engineers or that the info can just be out there for other people to see.  I know it isn't a great attitude not to try and work with the techs...  but you're asking me to spend what would be hours wasting my time just so I can eventually, maybe, get to someone who can even understand the problem, much less do something about it.

Loss of focus is pretty clear cut issue, especially when you know what component of what program causes it....  If it happens on a freshly installed PC then it will continue to happen no matter what unless Mcafee makes an internal fix or I start chopping down Windows components that Mcafee does not like.  As I said, the resulting attitude of "only 3 in millions" or "It must be a program on your PC" is not something I'm willing to fight through to convince someone there is something wrong with their software. (That is, of course, unless Mcafee wants to put me on payroll as a tech advisor and pay me hourly).

I hope the simple report of more people affected by the problem assists in finding a resolution.

Reliable Contributor
Message 94 of 166

Jump to solution

It wont be solved by posting here, the technicians need to take logs as it is happening and the only way is through support.

I will try to get a Tech involved with you here, but he's already working on lots of other cases, so can't guarantee it.

jaxmoto
Level 7
Message 95 of 166

Jump to solution

BTW, here is simple record of the issue...  I left the ticket open (1760557321) so if someone wants to work it that is fine, I'll reply to them via email.  But sitting on the phone is just going to be a waste and I'm not going to risk my PC or privacy for a remote connection.  Also, McUICnt.exe is also the only Mcafee component running at a user level, everything else runs at a system level.

12000:C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\focus.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:18:03 2015

11260:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:18:12 2015

No foreground application | Thu Jun 18 13:18:13 2015

12000:C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\focus.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:18:13 2015

11260:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:18:30 2015

No foreground application | Thu Jun 18 13:46:56 2015

1968:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\OUTLOOK.EXE | Thu Jun 18 13:46:56 2015

11260:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:47:09 2015

3216:C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:47:29 2015

11260:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Jun 18 13:47:31 2015

Reliable Contributor
Message 96 of 166

Jump to solution

OK I did email my contacts but have no idea when they'll be available as they are on another continent.

When they contact you I would OK any mode of contact they suggest as that will be the only way to get it sorted out.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 97 of 166

Jump to solution

They are a higher level tech one such that an escalation would point you to so if they want to take logs allow it but best to fireup the logging just before the issue is to occur if feasible.

As I said the more calls the better and escalate the call. Ensure you leave the case open as well.

Back several months I tried for two days to get this to occur I ran the focus.exe program but could not repro it so the only way to proceed is logging by a support tech.

Moderator selvan
Message 98 of 166

Re: Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

I would like to gather basic info such as McAfee Version numbers and the name applications that you use for identifying if a Focus loss happened.

Please provide version of "McAfee Security Center" along with AffID - You can obtain these values from "About" link of McAfee's home GUI.

Once I get the details I will personally test and post back my Observations.

- Just checking if you were able to repro this lately?

jaxmoto
Level 7
Message 99 of 166

Re: Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

The app I'm using to monitor to show the times is simply "focus.exe", from focus - happydroid.  Simply tracks anything that changes focus or lack of focus.  However the problem itself is visible, you can see the window you are currently in lose focus and commands (if you are typing at the time) do not work in that window for a few moments.

My system is running Windows 8.1 Professional, up to date.  On a z97 motherboard, intel i7 4790k.  Stored on a Crucial MX100 256gb ssd system drive, 2x 3TB Toshiba HDD's, and a 2nd backup Crucial M500 256gb ssd (not in raid with system drive).

The version info from Mcafee (from a boxed retail card version - 1 year 3 PC - registered/downloaded from the Mcafee site)

SecurityCenter
Version 14.0

Build 14.0.1029

AFFID 0-4192

Language en-us

Last update 6/15/2015

Mcafee anti-virus and anti-spyware

version 18.0

Build 18.0.204

last update 6/18/2015

engine version 2287.0

engine creation date 6/18/2015

mcafee personal firewall

version 15.0

Build 15.0.188

Last update 6/15/2015

Reliable Contributor
Message 100 of 166

Jump to solution

Chinthanai Selvan P wrote:

jaxmoto

I would like to gather basic info such as McAfee Version numbers and the name applications that you use for identifying if a Focus loss happened.

Please provide version of "McAfee Security Center" along with AffID - You can obtain these values from "About" link of McAfee's home GUI.

Once I get the details I will personally test and post back my Observations.

Ex_Brit Peacekeeper - Just checking if you were able to repro this lately?

Not seen at all here, sorry.