Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 14

Re: McSvHost crashing with Application Error

To clarify what Peacekeeper just said : I've got Visual C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010 redistributables installed. Apparently the only one that *should* be needed is the 2010 one. I've a feeling though that this is Microsoft going overboard with .NET, so I have a sinking feeling that if you & I get rid of the 2005 and 2008 VC++ redistributables then something in .NET won't work. Still, what the wossname. Anything for an interesting life. I'll give it a go when I've got time for the (probably certain) cleaning-up afterwards.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 14

Hmmmmmm....I am still running  "Security Center" 12.8.856  which was "Auto-Updated" on 10/16/2013. I was going to wait and do a clean install when I Upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 (Windows7-Service Pack 1.  I have experienced no issues as mentioned here-in.

Thought I would check my Visual C++...the latest I have is    C++2008 Redistributable x 86 Version 9.0.30729.6161

C++2008 Redistributable x 64 Version 9.0.30729.6161

Both were installed via Windows Update on 6/14/2011.  In other words C++ 2010 is not even listed...everything functioning fine. Since I have no issues, should I install C++ 2010 as well ?

I might add that since My machine is running perfectly, with no errors,or crashes. I would measure twice before removing C++2008.

The reason I have hesitated installing Internet Explorer 11 for Windows7, is that there reportedly are still bugs in it regarding "Fuzzy" Fonts. Microsoft is aware of the problem. I forget the "KB" Update number, but the article is on the "Infoworld Website"

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 11/18/13 10:53:09 PM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 14

That's a specific fix for a specific problem. If you don't have the problem don't apply the fix. Leave VC++ as is on your system.  If you don't have Visual Studio then VC++ is probably associated with Microsoft .NET

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 14

Thank you Hayton, as I realise all of you Mods are very busy. I may be incorrect...(Won,t be the first time)  but it is listed as Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable. I will follow your advice, and leave it be.

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer