cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee will not install

Jump to solution

Can anyone help me with a problem.  I have a Samsung Laptop running Windows 7 Home Edition, 64-bit Operating System.  I run BT Total netprotect plus, so receive automatic updates and it scans the computer regularly.  Last month a message popped up saying 'computer at risk'.  Real time scanning was turned off.  I turned it back on and tried to run a scan but it would not scan.  A message appeared saying 'an unexpected error occured. Return to home screen and try again", then it turned off scanning again and up popped the warning 'at risk' message again.  McAfeeUpdates are continuing as normal.  I ran a handy tool called McAfee Virtual Technician which said some of the problems had been fixed.  I rebooted but nothing had changed.  I tried this again and Virtual Technician popped up a message"Security Centre 11.6.  Problem: Product upgrade required - update now.  The 'update now' is written in red and appears to be a link, but when I click on it nothing happens.  I decided to completely uninstall McAfee and reinstall it again.  When I tried to reinstall, it did not work.  Downloaded OK, just would not install.   The installation box disappears and an error message appears "error - could not install any of your security files" (cannot remember exact wording sorry).  I rang BT and the tech guy took over my screen and tried again to install unsuccessfully (Same message).  He transferred me to a senior technician.  The senior technician went through the same process using remote assist, but again, no installation, same error message.  The technician is going to 'look into the matter' and ring me in a couple of days.  In the meantime, HELP, anyone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: McAfee will not install

Jump to solution

McAfee technician rang me tonight.  Here is the solution to the problem experienced by so many others:

McAfee technician took control of my screen using GotoAssist.

First he checked that I had used MCPR McAfee software removal tool.  He also asked me if there was any other virus software on my computer (none)

He went to Microsoft.com download centre.

He downloaded and installed a program called 'Microsoft Visual C++2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

He prompted me to log into my BT account, then he downloaded and installed BT Netprotect Plus.

Voila! It installed and is now working.  Happy me

I hope this helps.

Emma

12 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

After removing it in the normal way through Control Panel did you then run the MCPR cleanup tool?   It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

After that reboot and then try your installation from the online account again.

Also is this Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated including IE9, even if you don't use that part?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/01/13 2:56:02 EST PM

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Ex_Brit.  It is Windows 7, running SP1, fully updated and running IE9, which my son uses (got rid of Firefox a while ago and upgraded to IE9).  I did run the MCPR cleanup tool.  After my last installation attempt I went to control panel to uninstall again, but there was nothing there to uninstall.  I ran the MCPR cleanup tool again and it extracted something, but then flashed up a message "uninstallation incomplete".  I don't know what to do next

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

I would try rebooting and re-running MCPR, then a last reboot before trying my installation again.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Oops meant to add, run the Preinstall tool before trying your installation

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Jump to solution

Thank you Ex_Brit.  I ran the MCPR uninstall tool again this evening.  This time uninstallation was successful.  I rebooted, then ran the Preinstall tool above, rebooted again, then installed BT Netprotect Plus from my BT account page.  It HAS NOT installed, gahhhh!  When I run the McAfee virtual technician it says the same message to update my product.  However, there is no link or anything telling me how to get a product update!  I have not spoken to BT today.  They were supposed to ring this evening but haven't done so and I am not sure they can help - yesterday they just took over the screen and did what I am already doing and what I have already done.

Any ideas?

Jump to solution

Forgot to mention, I have an optional update of Bing Desktop.  I have not updated this as my son likes Google. Surely this would not make a difference to my problem?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

I don't use Bing desktop so can't advise regarding that, sorry.  But I doubt it makes any difference. You are trying all this signed in as an Admin-level user I trust?   I think you should be phoning Technical Support.  It's free and available through Useflu Links at the top of this page.

Jump to solution

Yes, Admin-level user. Thank you Ex_Brit, I will phone them tomorrow to seek help.  Will repost here if problem is resolved.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Good luck ;-)