cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee vs Intel: McAfee doesn`t allow to install IMEI

I can`t install  Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI) because installer can`t work proprely with following path: C:\Windows\Temp. I think McAfee block actions here because 1 my friend had the similar issue:

...He got this error immediatelly after PG(PostgreSQL) installer runs

"Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path"

I did research and found: this is McAfee. It prevents anything from running in a TEMP folder, including Windows Scripting Host scripts.

User said he uninstalled Mcafee long ago - but it still do not allows.

Found a removal tool MCPR (directly on Mcafee site)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

after it runs and reboots PC - all works OK, posgtres installed without any problem

He had it n release. I -on Beta.
I think the best way to fix all issues when next version will be released is completelly uninstall installed version of McAfee product. This should looks  like that:

MSC downloads special uninstaller\installer which should completely uninstall installed products & start new installation. Uninstaller should remove all info(including product settings).

13 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: McAfee vs Intel: McAfee doesn`t allow to install IMEI

IMEI is more for use in an Enterprise environment stanisluv, for people wanting to use remote access a lot or at least that's what Google tells me.   Why do you need it may I ask?

You may need to install updated chipset drivers to use it anyway, once installed and it's only applicable to certain Intel branded motherboards.

McAfee should not prevent anything from running from a TEMP folder without permission from you of course as that's where most installers deposit their files.

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you are intending to do here.

Maybe the installer needs to be run as an Administrator?   Just a thought.   (Right-click the installer setup file and select 'Run as Administrator').

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/08/12 12:05:18 EDT PM

Then this is more critical issue than I thought before. I just tried to install IMEI. Nothing more. I didn`t set any permissions for TEMP folder. MTP just block it & doesn`t show any alerts or smth like that.

PS. I just upgrade my desktop & found IMEI here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4152&dl=1#

Installer always runs as Admin. It`s by default.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 14

I just amended my post above so re-read it.

If I were downloading Intel software I would go to Intel's website for it.

Anyway McAfee shouldn`t block software without alerts. Can you try to install IMEI?  If yes then don`t foget to set checkbox in installer.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 14

I don't have an Intel branded motherboard.  Mine's ASUS so I don't think it will be compatible, regardless of chipset.   

I think that perhaps you should be asking support about this as it's rather technical.

I have GA-P75-D3. So if you have Intel chipset on your ASUS motherboard then you can try. I can`t ask support because I don`t have purchased McAfee software.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 14

Then this thread should be in the beta section, should I move it there?   If you aren't using retail software you should only post in the beta group.

The software isn't offered for my motherboard (P6T Deluxe V2) on ASUS download page and I can't find it at Intel either so would rather not try.

could you  keep thread here? As I post before retail version should has this issue too. Some of issue just were migrated from retail version to beta & I think this is one of them.

Just want to know: may be somebody elase can reproduce it on Retail?