cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

I have updated the drivers other than one which will not update:- The Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport adapter.

Capture.PNG

I have tried to disable it but when I reboot it comes back.

I am sorry I do not know what you mean by BDOS type. How I can I find this.

I get the following error meesage from the bluescreen dump

bluescreen problem.PNG

bluescreen problem2.PNG

For the moment I have uninstalled McAfee and am using AVAST. but would prefer to use McAfee becasue it has more functionality. Without McAfee there is no problem- so far. Is it a McAfee problem or a Dell problem?

Thanks

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 102 of 115

Your adapters are different to those causing the issue (atheros drivers) what I need re BSOD is error number , top comment ie IRQ less than etc and if it points to some file. These can be read off the BSOD if you set the PC to stop on bsod as per

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1795

Of course if you have not it installed that is a problem to get these. Any chance of reinstall removing the current AV fully and reinstalling?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/12/10 11:36:22 AM

McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

I'm using The AT&T Mcafee Security and after the upgrade this morning I keep having problem with start up due to Blue Screen crash.  I uninstalled the upgrade Mcafee version 10.5.227 and then re-installed it but I'm still having problem.  Help please!  Thanks

Reliable Contributor
Message 104 of 115

McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

That is an old version 2009 of Mcafee. Your isp partner is lagging a bit. Your OS is win 7 64bit is it?

Steps to check Version of network Adaptor:

·        Open Device manager

·        Right click on Computer

·        click on manage

·        In the left hand panel click on Device Manager

·        Right click on network adaptor

·        Click on property

·        Make sure if its WLAN Atheros driver Version 8.0.0.238

·        If not update the driver and make sure we get the latest.

·        If it’s not getting update check with OEM Website (systemmanufacture) or call your System vendor to get it updated.

On the ACER I first reported I decided to check the drivers for the wireless card as several have suggested and indeed after an update of the driver and an update of McAfee the problem as of this morning appears to be resolved. Certainly the BSOD is not occurring on startup and we can login to the machine ok.

Reliable Contributor
Message 106 of 115

3 success 1 no (assumed no that is as not tried)

Moxie not saying you should try it again as you have moved on.

Hi,

I don’t have a windows 7 notebook. I have a windows vista 32bit desktop.

I have uploaded (as requested by McAfee) both my post-BSOD logs and my hardware/software info with two posts:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/146672#146672

https://community.mcafee.com/message/148022#148022

However I do have a wireless PCI adapter (NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter) which uses an Atheros driver.

After reading this post

https://community.mcafee.com/message/150924#150924

I checked on my driver and I had the Atheros 7.7.0.384 adapter.

Using the driver update feature of Vista told me that I already had the most recent driver.

However as the post suggested I looked for an updated driver and more specifically for the WLAN Atheros driver Version 8.0.0.238. I found a driver here

http://www.wikidrivers.com/wiki/Atheros_AR5xxx/AR9xxx_8.0.0.238

Installing it increased the version number from 7.7.0.384 to 7.7.0.396. Since the version of the driver changed I thought I try to re-install McAfee to see what happens.

Reinstalling McAfee ended up with a BSOD again. I had to restore my system again. And now I have to reinstall the free antivirus software I had before installing McAfee again.

Because all this is very time consuming it would be terrific if someone can point me to the exact Atheros driver that I should install to satisfy McAfee. If you do I’ll give it another try.

My configuration is:

Windows vista 32bit desktop system.

NETGEAR WPN311 RANGEMAX PCI ADAPTER

Thanks

George

Reliable Contributor
Message 108 of 115

Will ask for someone to chase this up for you. Vista usually is not part of this issue that worries me a bit. Will get someone to get back to you asap.

Leif
Level 7
Message 109 of 115

OK. Tried to update the drivers for the wireless card. That also ended in BSOD.

So i tried to be patient to see if McAfee would solve the problem.

But now i have gotten tired of having a antivirus program nagging me for permission to update and crash my computer. So i saw no other option then to uninstalled McAfee and chose to install another product.

Reliable Contributor
Message 110 of 115

Way to be sure update drivers after removal then reinstall. Should work that way.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community